About This Chapter
Basic Principles of Time Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter explores time management principles and offers strategies designed to help nurses manage their time more effectively. The lessons in this chapter will help managers and employees:
- Define time management and understand its importance
- Learn how to effectively prioritize and schedule tasks
- Internalize the benefits of time management
- Understand task structure
- Identify sources of workplace stress and know how they relate to time management
After studying the lessons in this chapter, employees can make sure they've retained their knowledge by taking interactive practice quizzes and a final chapter exam.
How It Helps
- Improves time management skills: Nurses need to be able to prioritize tasks and manage their time well in the workplace.
- Builds awareness: Employees should be aware of the purpose and importance of time management and understand how it relates to job stress.
- Encourages strategic planning: Supervisors and employees who develop strong planning skills and strategies can be more effective and provide better patient care.
After studying the lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Manage time effectively
- Plan and prioritize
- Do more in less time
- Understand task structure
- Deal with job stress
1. What is Time Management? - Definition, Examples & Studies
There are more options today than ever before for ways to spend our time - or waste it! Read on to learn why and how we can better manage our most scarce resource.
2. Time Management Planning & Priorities: Skills & Strategies
Time management is an essential part of planning for success. Use the five steps in this lesson to be more effective in time management and to learn how to create an effective schedule.
3. Time Management: Doing More in Less Time
If you want to do more and achieve greater things, you need to be effective at managing your time. This lesson outlines some useful and beneficial steps for time management.
4. Task Structure: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will learn how a task can be completed effectively by means of task structure. We will define task structure and look at an example. When the lesson concludes, you can take a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. Time Management & Job Stress
Time management is something we all deal with as our lives get more hectic. In this lesson, we will address time management and the stress it can put on an individual in the workplace.
6. Practical Application: Reducing Job Stress Using Time Management
Without proper time management, life, work, and its many duties can become overwhelming. Stress and a decrease in physical health, mood, and behavior can follow. Practice using time management strategies in these scenarios.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.