About This Chapter
Basic Professional Skills for Educators - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter will optimize your knowledge of basic professional skills for educators. You can gain a broader understanding of key concepts related to time management, job stress, and more. After going through the lessons, you should be able to do the following with confidence:
- Provide examples of effective classroom strategies for learning
- Discuss what's required to become an effective teacher
- Give examples of time management for studying
- Explain the connection between job stress and time management
- List professional organizations in education that are field-specific
These lessons help you quickly grasp concepts related to basic professional skills for educators. A short self-assessment quiz is available to test your knowledge of each lesson, and the quizzes can be printed to study offline. There are many other convenient features built into our learning platform. For instance, the quizzes link back to specific topics in the video, so if you get a question wrong you can quickly go back and review that topic again.
1. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
2. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
3. What is Time Management? - Definition, Examples & Studies
There are more options today than ever before for ways to spend our time - or waste it! Read on to learn why and how we can better manage our most scarce resource.
4. Time Management & Job Stress
Time management is something we all deal with as our lives get more hectic. In this lesson, we will address time management and the stress it can put on an individual in the workplace.
5. Field-Specific Professional Organizations in Education
Joining a professional education organization can provide educators with all sorts of benefits. But how can a teacher find an association in his or her content area? Watch this lesson for the benefits of field-specific organizations and how to find one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Early Childhood Education (101): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Health & Safety Issues in Early Childhood
- Promoting Learning & Development
- Assessment in Early Childhood
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- Oral Language Development in Children
- Teaching Reading Mechanics
- Strategies for Teaching Reading Fluency & Comprehension
- Writing Instruction for Early Childhood Education
- Educating Children Using the Arts
- Health & Physical Education for Children
- Math Foundations for Instruction
- Number Sense for Children
- Teaching Social Studies Concepts & Skills
- Teaching Basic Science Concepts & Skills
- Working with Parents & Colleagues in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Responsibilities & Special Education for Educators
- NES Early Childhood Education Flashcards