About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school biology work.
- Identify the basic science lab skills concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school biology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about basic science lab skills and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding lab measurements, displacement, common lab equipment, compound microscope uses, safety methods or any other basic science lab skills topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their basic science lab skills unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school biology
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about basic science lab skills simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live biology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about basic science lab skills on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Understand the different units of measurement and their applications.
- Define meniscus and describe its applications.
- Calculate the volume of an object using displacement.
- Name the different types of laboratory equipment and describe their uses.
- Explain general lab safety guidelines.
- Identify the parts and uses of a compound microscope.
1. Understanding Laboratory Measurements: Units & Types
There are many different units that can be used for measurements. This may not only lead to incorrect data measurements, but also to confusion about which units are most appropriate. Therefore, a standard set of units is used for each type of measurement in the biology lab.
2. What Is a Meniscus? - Definition, Uses & Lab Examples
Liquids can be tricky to measure because surface tension causes them to do interesting things like forming a meniscus. In this video lesson you'll learn what a meniscus is, why it forms, and how to correctly read the volume of a liquid using the meniscus at the surface.
3. Using Displacement to Calculate the Volume of an Object
Determining the volume of an object is easy if that object is uniform and has a regular shape. For objects that are irregularly shaped, using the edges is not so straightforward, so instead we can measure the volume by displacement.
4. Common Laboratory Equipment: Types & Uses
Biologists use all kinds of equipment in their labs to run their experiments. In this lesson, you'll identify some of the most common pieces of equipment as well as when you should or shouldn't use them.
5. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety is not fun, but following the rules ensures that lab activities can be enjoyed by everyone. In this lesson, we cover some basic lab safety rules to follow that will help lab time be both safe and fun.
6. Introduction to the Compound Microscope: Parts & Uses
The compound light microscope is a useful tool in any biology laboratory. In this lesson, you'll be introduced to the parts of a compound microscope, as well as understand the function of each of those parts.
7. What is an Autoclave? - Definition & Uses
Get to know what an autoclave is and how it is used. We will explore the different ways in which autoclaves are used. There is a short quiz to help you check your knowledge from this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology: Tutoring Solution course
- Science Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for High School Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Requirements of Biological Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Communication: Tutoring Solution
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Replication - Processes and Steps: Tutoring Solution
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Mutations: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Technology and Genomics: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Biology Overview: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth: Tutoring Solution
- Geologic Time: Tutoring Solution
- Evolution Overview: Tutoring Solution
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Fungi: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Invertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Vertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- Human Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- Ecology and the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- Human Effects on the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Tutoring Solution