About This Chapter
Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Just like a medical procedure, medical terminology can be dissected to find out how it works. The beginnings, ends and origins of different types of words are explored in these chapter lessons. Take a quiz that accompanies each lesson to find out just how well you have learned the material and reach out to knowledgeable instructors if you have any questions. This chapter addresses such questions as:
- How are medical terms formed?
- What are some types of medical terms?
- Which prefixes indicate amount?
- How do time & negation relate to prefixes?
- Which word roots indicate color?
- How do you abbreviate medical terminology?
|Medical Prefixes to Indicate Size||Take a look at how prefixes indicate sizing.|
|Medical Prefixes to Indicate Amount||Examine the way that prefixes signify an amount.|
|Time & Negation in Medical Prefixes||Learn how time and negation relate to prefixes.|
|Medical Prefixes to Indicate Inside or Outside||Find out how prefixes can designate inside or outside.|
|Medical Prefixes to Indicate Front, Behind, Above, Below, & Around||See how different directional descriptions can be indicated by prefixes.|
|Medical Prefixes for Position & Special Prefixes||Examine prefixes designating position and learn about some unique prefixes.|
|Medical Word Roots Indicating Color||Take a look at the roots of medical words that signify color.|
|Medical Suffixes for Signs & Symptoms||Find out how to identify signs and symptoms using suffixes.|
|Medical Suffixes for Diseases||Discover suffixes identifying diseases.|
|Medical Suffixes for Conditions||Identify conditions using different suffixes.|
|Suffixes for Medical Procedures||See how medical procedures can be identified by suffixes.|
|Noun Suffixes in Medical Terminology||Learn about noun suffixes relating to medicine.|
|Commonly Confused Prefixes in Medical Terminology||Settle confusion regarding medical prefixes.|
|Commonly Confused Word Roots in Medical Terminology||Eliminate uncertainty regarding the roots of words in medicine.|
|Commonly Confused Suffixes in Medical Terminology||Sort out the difficulties of confusing suffixes.|
1. Medical Prefixes to Indicate Size
We will get familiar with medical prefixes that are used to indicate size in this lesson. This lesson will also contain examples of how these prefixes are used.
2. Medical Prefixes to Indicate Amount
This lesson will cover the prefixes that are used to define amounts in medical terminology. We will study these prefixes by looking at ones with the same meaning and opposite meaning.
3. Time & Negation in Medical Prefixes
This lesson is going to cover the prefixes that specify time in medical terminology. We will also look at the prefixes that negate the meaning of a medical term.
4. Medical Prefixes for Position & Special Prefixes
In this lesson, we are going to discuss the prefixes that let you know the position of the subject in the medical term. We will also learn prefixes that don't fit into any particular category.
5. Medical Prefixes to Indicate Inside or Outside
Learn all about the different prefixes that can be used to describe inside or outside structures of the body. We will go over examples of using the different prefixes.
6. Medical Prefixes to Indicate Front, Behind, Above, Below & Around
We will cover many prefixes that are used to indicate locations. The prefixes for front, behind, above, below and around will be discussed in this lesson.
7. Medical Word Roots Indicating Color
We are going to learn the various terms that are used to describe color in medical terminology. We will discuss the two different ways in which these terms are used.
8. Medical Suffixes for Signs & Symptoms
This lesson covers the suffixes that are used in medical terminology to describe the signs and symptoms that are seen in the body when a disease or condition is present. We will go over examples of each suffix.
9. Medical Suffixes for Diseases
This lesson covers the medical suffixes that are used when naming diseases. We will look at some examples of different diseases that use the various suffixes that we will be discussing.
10. Medical Suffixes for Conditions
This lesson will cover the various suffixes that are used in medical terminology in order to describe conditions that are happening in the body. We will look at examples for each suffix.
11. Suffixes for Medical Procedures
This lesson will cover the most commonly used suffixes that describe procedures that are performed on the body. We will also look at some examples of terms that use the suffixes.
12. Noun Suffixes in Medical Terminology
This lesson is going to cover the many noun suffixes that are used in medical terminology. We will look at examples and see how some can be used interchangeably.
13. Commonly Confused Prefixes in Medical Terminology
This lesson will go over the most commonly confused medical prefixes. We will look at how the prefixes are used and go over examples to help distinguish them from each other.
14. Commonly Confused Word Roots in Medical Terminology
We are going to look at some of the most common word roots that are often confused in medical terminology. We will look at how they are used and some common examples.
15. Commonly Confused Suffixes in Medical Terminology
This lesson will look at and distinguish the suffixes in medical terminology that are often confused. We will use examples to help you gain an understanding of the meaning and proper use of the suffixes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology