About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Basics of Abnormal Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Abnormal psychology defined and common disorders||Somatogenic theory, psychogenic theory, depression, schizophrenia, antisocial personality disorder|
|Tuesday||Understanding abnormal behavior criteria and causes||Violation of social norms, personal distress, maladaptive behavior, statistical rarity|
|Wednesday||Abnormal human development||Assessment, physical, emotional, cognitive, developmental disability|
|Thursday||Biological and medical views of abnormality historically||Somatogenic theory, Hippocrates, Claudius Galen, Benjamin Rush, Franz Anton Mesmer, hysteria|
|Friday||Mental health and psychopathology||Mental health, psychopathology, cognitive emotional, social and behavioral dimensions|
1. What is Abnormal Psychology? - Definition and Common Disorders Studied
What is abnormality? How do psychologists study abnormality? In this lesson, we will define abnormal psychology, look at two theories to explain what causes abnormality and examine three examples of disorders studied in abnormal psychology.
2. The Psychology of Abnormal Behavior: Understanding the Criteria & Causes of Abnormal Behavior
What is abnormal behavior? In this lesson, we will look at how psychologists define abnormality, the criteria they use to identify it, and some common causes of abnormal behavior.
3. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
4. Biological and Medical History of Abnormality in Psychology
Somatogenic theory views mental illness as a medical condition and dates back to ancient Greece. In this lesson, we will look at the history of somatogenic theory, including key historical figures like Hippocrates, Franz Anton Mesmer, Benjamin Rush, and Emil Kraepelin.
5. Mental Health & Psychopathology: Definition & Dimensions
In this lesson, we will explore some of the basic ways that we differentiate between mental health and psychopathology. Included in this is looking at social, behavioral, thought, and emotional processes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- History of Psychology Lesson Plans
- Research Methods in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Data Collection in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sampling in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Measurement in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Statistics in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Evaluating Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Biological Bases of Behavior Lesson Plans
- Sensation & Perception Lesson Plans
- Motivation & Needs Lesson Plans
- Emotion in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories for Life Span Development Lesson Plans
- Biological Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sensory & Perceptual Development Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Development Lesson Plans
- Physical Development & Psychology Lesson Plans
- Social Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Development & Theories Lesson Plans
- Learning & Conditioning in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Memory & Cognition in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Intelligence Testing in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness Lesson Plans
- Basics of Social Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Abnormal Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment of Psychological Disorders Lesson Plans
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Psychology Lesson Plans