About This Chapter
Basics of Hospitality Marketing - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an overview of basic marketing practices and principles relating to the hospitality industry. You'll learn how to develop an effective marketing strategy for the hospitality industry, what services this industry offers and characteristics of hospitality products and services. You'll also study the applications of marketing. Keep track of your studies on your Dashboard, and contact instructors with any lesson-specific questions. Take the quizzes after each lesson to assess what you have retained and which topics you might need to review further. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define marketing and detail its importance to business success
- Explain the importance of a successful marketing strategy for customer retention in the hospitality industry
- Provide details about the services offered in the hospitality industry
- Describe the challenges of providing services as a product as shown by hospitality and tourism industries
- Differentiate between goods and services and relate techniques for marketing each of these
- Outline different marketing philosophies and provide examples of each philosophy
1. Introduction to Marketing: Definition and Applications
In this introductory video lesson on marketing, you'll learn what marketing is, how it's used to reach consumers and why it's important to businesses. You'll also see how exchange is related to marketing.
2. Hospitality Industry Marketing: Importance & Strategies
The hospitality industry is highly competitive and requires a strategy to earn and retain a customer's business. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the importance of hospitality marketing and strategies for success.
3. Sectors & Services of the Hospitality Industry
Visiting a new location is often something we all look forward to. Whether it's a yearly event or something that is a rare treat, each time we jump on a plane, stay in a hotel, or eat at a restaurant we are participating in the hospitality industry.
4. Hospitality Industry: Products & Characteristics
It's one of the biggest industries around, something that we've all participated in, whether in a job or as a customer. We're talking about the hospitality industry, and in this lesson we'll explore its many forms.
5. Service as a Product: Strategies & Best Practices
Understanding what service as a product is and how it can affect operations at a hotel is beneficial. This lesson offers an explanation of service as a product and gives five best practices and strategies for marketing hospitality services.
6. Services Marketing: The Difference Between Services and Goods
In this lesson, you'll learn the difference between a service and a good. Discover how services are marketed to a consumer using different techniques.
7. What is a Marketing Concept? - Definition & Examples
One of the biggest challenges for businesses today is attracting customers and keeping them. They do so through effective marketing. This lesson will identify five different approaches to marketing philosophies and provide examples for each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 301: Hospitality Marketing course
- Hospitality Industry Trends
- Hospitality Marketing Research
- Consumer Behavior in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Market Segmentation
- Pricing for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing Channels
- Hospitality Marketing Strategies
- Advertising for Hospitality
- Hospitality Industry & Public Relations
- Selling for the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Marketing & Technology
- Required Assignments for Hospitality 301
- Studying for Hospitality 301