About This Chapter
Basics of Interpersonal Relationships - Chapter Summary
Work at your own pace as you review the basics of interpersonal relationships by studying the lessons in this chapter. The video lessons cover interpersonal relationships, the development of love relationships and the factors that affect how couples make life decisions. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain theories about interpersonal relationships
- Outline the function of interpersonal relationships and their different types
- Discuss the characteristics of love relationships
- Detail factors that influence interpersonal communication
- Identify the impact that social and cognitive development plays on interpersonal relationships
- Define threats to interpersonal relationships
- Understand that factors that impact how couples make life decisions
When you review these lessons, you'll have access to materials you can access at your convenience 24/7. The lesson quizzes and chapter test will measure your readiness for an exam and indicate whether you've studied enough. Ask any questions through the Dashboard and one of our experts will answer.
1. Interpersonal Relationships: Definition & Theories
To be human is to be involved in interpersonal relationships. In this lesson, we will define interpersonal relationships and discuss the various theories that explain how we create and maintain them.
2. Interpersonal Relationships: Types & Functions
In this lesson, we'll look at the interpersonal relationships we experience in life. In particular, we'll explore the four most common types, what these relationships do for us, and how some relationships come to an end.
3. Love Relationships: Their Characteristics & How They Develop
Here we look at the development of love. What does it mean to be in a loving relationship? What are the steps that occur in every individual in entering one?
4. Factors That Influence Interpersonal Communication
Communication between human beings is difficult if not impossible to avoid, so understanding the factors that influence communication might prevent hurt feelings or a slap in the face. This lesson will explore some of those factors.
5. Social & Cognitive Development: Impact on Interpersonal Relationships
How does association with a group of people impact behavior and learning? Are friendships relevant to understanding the behavior of students in a classroom? This lesson discusses social development by exploring interpersonal relationship functions and types.
6. Threats to Interpersonal Relationships
There are many circumstances that can threaten the relationships we have with others. This lesson will consider how jealousy and other factors can affect interpersonal relationships, and how they can impact the future of those relationships.
7. Factors Affecting How Couples Make Life Decisions
Couples need to answer a lot of hard questions before making major life decisions. This lesson will look into some of these factors, specifically regarding decisions like buying a home together and having kids.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Basics of Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards