About This Chapter
Basics of Linear Equations & Inequalities - Chapter Summary
Review the basics of linear equations and inequalities with this comprehensive math chapter. These engaging video lessons define linear equation and inequality terms and show you how to solve these types of problems. The chapter includes brief quizzes to help you practice solving linear equation and inequality problems on your own. You can submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help, and the chapter is available to access at any time that fits your schedule. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define linear equations and inequalities
- Write linear equations
- Explain the functions of intercepts, graphing and standard form
- Solve simultaneous linear equations
- Extrapolate and interpolate with line graphs
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
4. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
5. Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations
In this video lesson, you will learn how to solve simultaneous linear equations or a system of linear equations. Learn the steps you need to take to solve any such system using the Gaussian elimination method.
6. Extrapolation & Interpolation with Line Graphs
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to interpolate and extrapolate a line graph based on just a few points. You will be able to provide data points that haven't been given to you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Business Mathematics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Number Sense
- Graphing and Evaluating Equations and Functions
- Solving Quadratic Equations & Functions
- Probability and Statistics for Business
- Depreciation & Salvage Values
- Interest & Purchases
- Using Math for Financial Analysis
- Business Costs, Taxes & Inventory Valuations
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Business Mathematics Flashcards