About This Chapter
Basics of Personal Nutrition & Health Problems - Chapter Summary
This collection of simple video lessons outlines the fundamentals of personal nutrition, as well as a variety of health-related problems. Work through the chapter at your own pace to review strategies of mitigating personal health risks and meeting nutritional needs. You'll also take a look at the effects of diseases, substance disorders, tobacco use and other heath issues. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Identify major health problems in the U.S.
- Determine your individual nutritional needs
- Compare several communicable and noncommunicable diseases
- Recognize the causes of substance use, abuse and dependence
- Describe the impact of tobacco use on an individual's health
- Explain how to alleviate the effects of health risk factors
You can access these lessons online or print out the word-for-word transcripts. The bite-sized nature of the lessons makes it easy to quickly review the material and take away important health concepts. Included in the chapter are short lessons quizzes, a chapter exam and an easy-to-use Ask the Expert feature.
1. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
2. Determining Your Nutritional Needs
This lesson will teach you about important terms involved in determining your nutritional needs, as well as about a tool that can help you use the latest nutritional science to figure these things out.
3. Communicable & Noncommunicable Diseases: Definition & Examples
A disease is a condition in the body that disrupts normal functions. Why are some diseases contagious while others aren't? This lesson discusses the difference between communicable and noncommunicable diseases.
4. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
5. Tobacco Use & Health
Tobacco contains an addictive chemical called nicotine. Nicotine is why it is so hard to stop using tobacco once you start. Learn how smoking or chewing tobacco causes diseases, affects your breathing and even causes bad breath and yellow teeth.
6. Mitigating the Effects of Personal Health Risk Factors
There are several personal health risk factors that can increase your chances of serious health issues. This lesson takes a look at some common risk factors that can be addressed before they become much larger problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Homework Help Resource course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Development: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Human Growth & Development Research Methods
- Genetic Influences on Development: Homework Help
- Biological Development: Homework Help
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Homework Help
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Homework Help
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Homework Help
- Language Development: Homework Help
- Social Development: Homework Help
- Social Relationship Development: Homework Help
- Atypical Development: Homework Help