About This Chapter
Basics of Physical Science - Chapter Summary
Use this comprehensive refresher chapter to brush up on the principles and components of physical science. Explore the structure and states of matter and take another look at the changes it can undergo. Review the nature of atoms and re-discover how they combine to form molecules, reexamine the differences between heat and temperature and much more. Through these lessons, you will review the following information:
- Overview of matter, and physical, chemical and phase changes
- Types and examples of mixtures
- Elements, atoms, molecules and compounds
- Forms and types of energy, and a description of potential and kinetic energy
- Definition and explanation of energy transformation
- Temperature vs. heat, and materials that insulate or conduct
- Electricity and electric circuits, and types and description of forces
Location may be an issue in real estate, but it has no impact on how or where you access this study guide. Our fully online platform enables you to work from any location and from any electronic device that allows Internet access, including your smartphone, laptop, notebook or tablet computer. The chapters and lessons are accessible all day and every day, so you are free to study whenever you wish for as long as you want.
1. Physical Property of Matter: Definition & Examples
Every time you look at an object, you observe its properties. In this lesson, you will learn about the physical properties of matter so you can identify them in the future.
2. States of Matter and Chemical Versus Physical Changes to Matter
The world around us is constantly changing. Chemists put those changes into two main categories: physical changes and chemical changes. This lesson will define and provide examples of each.
3. Phase Changes of Matter: Types & Examples
We are surrounded by matter. In this lesson, you will learn about phase changes of matter, and the types of phase changes that occur so you can recognize them in the future.
4. Homogeneous Mixture: Definition & Examples
We use many types of mixtures in everyday life. In this lesson, you will learn about a type of mixture known as a homogeneous mixture so you will be able to identify them in the future.
5. Heterogeneous Mixture: Definition & Examples
You come into contact with mixtures every day. Most of the foods we eat and drink are some form of mixtures. In this lesson, you will learn about heterogeneous mixtures and the types of heterogeneous mixtures recognized by scientists.
6. The Atom
Tune into this lesson to find out what matters about matter. What exactly is an atom? And, how do the atoms that make up the elements in the periodic table differ from one another?
7. What Are Elements?
Look around you. What do you see? Elements are everywhere. They are the building blocks of all matter on Earth. In this lesson, we will discuss what an element is, how elements are written as symbols, and how elements are the building blocks of all matter.
8. How Compounds and Molecules Are Built From Elements
Did you know that elements are like people and have different personalities? A few elements are very shy and love to be left alone. Others are very social and prefer to hang out with friends. In this lesson we will discuss how elements build molecules and compounds.
9. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
10. What are the Different Types of Energy?
Energy is one of the most fundamental concepts in many scientific fields. Learn more about its different types, subsequently testing your knowledge with a quiz.
11. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
12. Comparing Heat & Temperature
Heat and temperature aren't the same thing, contrary to everyday usage. Learn about the differences between the two concepts in science. Test your understanding with a quiz.
13. Insulators and Conductors: Examples, Definitions & Qualities
In this lesson, we'll explore the reasons that some materials conduct electrical energy with ease while others block it almost completely. We'll also talk about the property of conductivity and some everyday examples of insulators and conductors.
14. Types & Components of Electric Circuits
Learn about electrical components and types of circuits. By the end of this lesson, you'll be able to explain what components like bulbs, resistors, and capacitors do. You'll also be able to compare and contrast series vs. parallel circuits and DC vs. AC circuits.
15. Force: Definition and Types
Force is everywhere and it comes in a variety of sizes, directions, and types. In this video lesson, you'll identify force as well the different types of force that objects may experience.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Basics of Space Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards