About This Chapter
Basics of Polynomial Functions - Chapter Summary
Find out how much you know about polynomial functions with help from entertaining videos developed by top instructors. In addition to reviewing the terminology associated with these functions, learn the steps you need to take when performing various math operations. When ready, assess your understanding of this chapter by taking short quizzes and a practice chapter exam. Also, be sure to submit any questions you have about lesson topics to our experts. Upon completion of this chapter, you will have a good grasp of the following:
- How terminology like coefficients, degrees and terms is defined
- What steps should be taken to evaluate a polynomial in function notation
- How intervals of polynomial functions are found
- In what ways can cubics, quartics, quintics and beyond be graphed
- How Pascal's triangle is defined and used with polynomials
1. Terminology of Polynomial Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to understand and use the words associated with polynomial functions like a pro. You will see words, such as leading coefficient, and you will immediately know what it is referring to.
2. How to Evaluate a Polynomial in Function Notation
This lesson will review how to evaluate polynomials in function notation. Along with an analogy to explain the process, examples will be given and worked during the lesson.
3. Finding Intervals of Polynomial Functions
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the intervals of a polynomial function. Also learn how to find out whether each interval is negative or positive.
4. How to Graph Cubics, Quartics, Quintics and Beyond
Finding the graph of a polynomial isn't too hard. If you can graph, you already know the major steps! With a couple rules and helpful memorizing tools, you will be graphing polynomials in no time!
5. Pascal's Triangle: Definition and Use with Polynomials
Pascal's Triangle is defined and discussed briefly. Following the introduction to the triangle, its use in expanding polynomial powers is elaborated with examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Precalculus: High School course
- Working With Inequalities
- Absolute Value Equations
- Working with Complex Numbers
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions
- Working with Higher-Degree Polynomials
- Graphing Piecewise Functions
- Understanding Function Operations
- Graph Symmetry
- Graphing with Functions
- Rate of Change
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Trigonometric Applications
- Solving Trigonometric Identities
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants
- Mathematical Sequences and Series
- Sets in Algebra
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations
- Teacher Resources for Precalculus in High School