About This Chapter
Basics of Preparing for Parenthood - Chapter Summary
Refer to the lessons in this chapter to learn more about family and pregnancy planning. You'll study what you should assess and what needs to be considered when making this these types of decisions. Other lessons address such topics as infertility, abortion and miscarriage. Once you have finished this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the points to consider when deciding to have children
- Explain factors impacting the best interest of the child
- Define family planning and what social and cultural factors impact it
- Name key issues when planning a pregnancy
- List causes of miscarriages and methods of abortion
- Identify causes of and treatment for infertility
Review short video or text lessons from any device, at any time, and use handy video tags to jump to topics on which you need to focus. You can also print lesson transcripts to use as quick reference tools. Self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam are a great way to test what you've remembered and identify which topics you might need to study further.
1. Making the Decision to Have Children
In this lesson, I face one of my greatest fears: talking about having kids. We'll look at some points to consider, such as the costs and the way it changes a person's life. In addition, the idea of baby fever is also looked at.
2. Best Interest of the Child: Standard & Factors
This lesson will discuss how the courts determine what the best interest of the child is and what standards and factors they use to make these decisions. After learning about these standards and factors, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Family Planning: Definition, Programs & Efficacy
Family planning is becoming more and more of a modern priority both here in the United States and around the world. In this lesson, you'll explore the idea of family planning and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Social & Cultural Factors That Impact Family Planning
Many different factors can influence how people make decisions about growing their families. This lesson discusses some of the most prominent social and cultural factors that come into play.
5. Key Issues When Planning A Pregnancy
When planning a pregnancy, important things must be considered to ensure maximum safety of both mother and child. This includes taking an assessment of your medications, supplements, medical conditions, and habits.
6. Abortion and Miscarriage: Methods and Causes
This lesson will teach you whether exercise can cause a miscarriage, what the major cause of miscarriage is, and what the two major classes of abortion are.
7. Infertility: Causes and Potential Options
Trouble having a baby may be a result of a woman or man's reproductive problems. This lesson discusses some common and important ones as well as the general treatment strategies employed to combat them.
8. Treatment for Infertility
There are quite a few different kinds of treatment options for both men and women. They include drugs, surgery, hormone therapy, and more advanced techniques this lesson will describe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040): Study Guide & Practice course
- Family Structure & Systems
- Basics of Interpersonal Relationships
- Stages of Adulthood & Aging
- Overview of Human Sexual Development
- Family Changes & Transitions
- Family Rights & Responsibilities
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- Parenting Process
- Parent-Child Communication & Conflict
- Life Choices & Personal Wellness
- Principles of Nutrition
- Impact of Nutrition on Personal Wellness
- Health Care Rights & Responsibilities
- Careers, Family & Community
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Economics & Consumer Rights
- Resource Management & Consumption Behaviors
- MTTC Family & Consumer Sciences (040) Flashcards