About This Chapter
Basics of Solving Word Problems - Chapter Summary
These lessons will boost your understanding of the steps needed to correctly set up and solve math problems as well as simplification methods. The chapter includes topics such as:
- Steps for and examples of solving word problems
- Restatement of word problems using images or words
- Personalization of word problems
- Simplification of word problems that have fractions through the use of whole numbers
Our instructors host the short video lessons that make up this chapter. Each lasts between five and ten minutes and comes with a self-assessment quiz for you to take. We include a feature that allows you to submit questions directly to a Study.com expert.
1. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems by following this 3-step process. Learn how to visualize your problem so you fully understand it. Then learn how to write and solve your equations.
2. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
3. Solving Word Problems with Multiple Steps
Not all word problems are so straightforward that they only require you to do one operation and you're done. Some are more complicated, requiring several steps. Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve these kinds of problems.
4. Restating Word Problems Using Words or Images
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use sketches and notes to help you visualize a problem. Watch how easy it becomes to solve your problem once you have visualized it.
5. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
6. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Working with Polynomials
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Understanding Square Roots
- Exponential Expression Math
- Understanding Coordinate Graphs
- Understanding Linear Equations
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Linear Functions & Equations
- Exponential Functions
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Algebraic Distribution
- Overview of Algebraic Expressions
- Overview of Algebraic Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Using a Graphing Calculator
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra I Flashcards