About This Chapter
Basics of Space Science - Chapter Summary
Reintroduce yourself to the the foundations of space science by studying lessons that include subjects like the atmosphere of the sun, the definition of asteroids and comets, the history of space travel and more. Use the self-assessment quizzes at the end of the chapter to track your progress. You can also find the following subjects in this chapter:
- Impact of the earth's rotation
- Names of the moon phases
- Impact of gravity, the moon, and the sun on the tides
- Summary of the solar system
- The atmosphere of the sun
- Orbits of the planets and satellite formation in the solar system
- Space travel's benefits and dangers
- The characteristics of asteroids and meteorites
- The impact of space exploration on culture
All of our lessons and quizzes are comprehensive so as to allow you to get the most out of your review. They are also short so you don't have to spend a large amount of time going over concepts. Our instructors have prepared the lessons and are available if you have questions about them.
1. Effects of the Earth's Rotation & Revolution
This lesson explores the factors that influence seasons, daylight, and temperatures on our planet, including rotation and radiation. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
3. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
4. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
5. The Sun: Atmosphere & Facts
This lesson will go over what the three layers of our sun's atmosphere are, the sun's surface temperature, chemical composition, radius, and distance from Earth.
6. Planets of the Solar System: Orbits & Visibility
This lesson will tell you which planets in our solar system you can see with the naked eye and which ones you cannot. You'll also learn how they appear to move in our sky and why we can see them in the first place.
7. Satellite Formation in Our Solar System
This lesson will describe regular, irregular, collision fragments, captured asteroids, and other types of satellites orbiting around the planets of the solar system.
8. Asteroids, Meteorites & Comets: Definitions and Characteristics
This lesson will cover the definitions and characteristics of asteroids, comets and meteorites. It will also explore what impact they have had on Earth and the impact they might have in the future.
9. Space Travel: History, Dangers & Benefits
Space is fascinating. Humans have been sending objects into space for decades, trying to learn about Earth and what's beyond. But while space travel can be beneficial, there are also risks that come along with exploring the rest of the universe.
10. How Space Exploration Affects Culture & Society
Few events have had more impact on human culture and society than space exploration. Learn the various ways that culture and society have changed as a result of major space exploration events like the moon landing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 (060): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Test
- Understanding Emergent Literacy
- The Reading Process & Comprehension Strategies
- Representations of Information in the Classroom
- Literary Analysis & Genres
- Understanding & Teaching the Writing Process
- Literacy Instruction & Assessment
- Classroom Organization & Grouping
- Communication & Media Literacy
- Social Science Instruction & Comprehension
- Cultural Contributions & Technological Developments in History
- World Civilizations & Historical Timelines
- Age of Exploration, Settlement & Growth
- Florida & U.S. History
- History's Impact on World Institutions
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- Regional Divides & Connections
- Fundamental Government & Civics Concepts
- Fundamental Economics Concepts
- Strategies for Science Instruction
- Tools & Resources for Science Instruction
- Understanding the Nature of Science
- Scientific Data Interpretation & Analysis
- Interdisciplinary Nature of Science
- Basics of Physical Science
- Basics of Earth Science
- Cells & Organ Systems
- Life Science Classification & Life Cycles
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Basics of Plant Biology
- Mathematics Instructional Practices
- Interpreting Numbers, Data & Expressions
- Properties of Equality & Operations
- Solving Arithmetic & Word Problems
- Number Theory Concepts
- Fractions, Ratios & Integers
- Measurement, Data & Statistics
- Geometric Concepts
- Studying for FTCE Elementary Education
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6 Flashcards