About This Chapter
Basics of the Periodic Table- Chapter Summary
In these text and video lessons, our instructors will present material on the basics of the periodic table that can help you understand more complex information in the chemistry field. You will be able to recall the following topics upon completion of this chapter:
- Organization of elements on the periodic table
- Significance of the atomic number and mass number for elements
- Groups and families of the periodic table
- Unique properties of metals
- Common reactions of nonmetal elements
The short and engaging lessons are taught by our experienced instructors and feature numerous resources to help you master the concepts in this chapter. If you have questions, our subject experts are available to help you. In addition to lesson quizzes, there is also a chapter exam. Use these quizzes and exam to make sure you have mastered the information in the lessons.
1. The Periodic Table: Properties of Groups and Periods
How is the periodic table like the map you used on your last road trip? In this lesson, you will be introduced to the periodic table, the road map of chemists. We will discuss how the elements are organized and how you can use this organization to identify some of their major physical properties.
2. Atomic Number and Mass Number
Atoms are the basic building blocks of everything around you. In order to really understand how atoms combine to form molecules, it's necessary to be familiar with their structure. In this lesson, we'll dissect atoms so we can see just what really goes into those little building blocks of matter.
3. Representative Elements of the Periodic Table: Definition & Overview
You might not think salt and a banana have much in common, but they do! The periodic table organizes elements into groups based on similar properties. This video will explore the representative elements, focusing on each group or family.
4. Metals on the Periodic Table: Definition & Reactivity
Look around for a second...how many metallic things can you see? Generally when we think of metals, we think of substances that are shiny and durable; however, they're also in our food and in our bodies. Learn what makes a metal a metal and why metals are special.
5. Nonmetal Elements on the Periodic Table: Definition, Properties, & Reactions
Nonmetal elements are omnipresent and essential for life. Learn about the properties and typical reactions of these important elements, and then assess your new knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards