About This Chapter
Basics of Thermodynamics - Chapter Summary
This chapter uses brief but informative video lessons to get you up to speed on thermodynamics. You'll start by learning about the basics of energy and then move on to cover a variety of energy types and examples of each. More advanced topics in this chapter include the first and second laws of thermodynamics and calculating heat capacity for different types of substances. By the end of the chapter, you'll have reviewed the following:
- The significance of energy
- Mechanical, thermal, radiant, chemical, electrical and nuclear energy
- Conversion of kinetic energy to potential energy
- Methods of heat transfer
- Applications of the laws of thermodynamics
- Heat and energy diagrams
- Energy transformations in living organisms
These lessons are a quick and easy way to brush up on key thermodynamics topics. Each concept is clearly explained in short video lessons lasting less than ten minutes apiece. Watch the lessons as many times as you need until you've fully grasped the information presented. You can also use the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to assess your understanding of lesson material and target the areas where you need to focus.
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. What is Mechanical Energy? - Definition & Examples
In physics, energy is how work gets done. This video describes one important type of energy, mechanical energy, and provides examples of both kinetic and potential mechanical energy.
3. Kinetic Energy to Potential Energy: Relationship in Different Energy Types
This video defines and describes kinetic and potential energy. You'll learn how different types of energy can be classified as potential and kinetic. You'll also find out how kinetic and potential energy are transformed.
4. Forms of Energy: Thermal, Radiant, Chemical, Electric & Nuclear Energy
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what energy is, and describe in detail thermal, radiant, chemical, electric and nuclear energy. A short quiz will follow.
5. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
6. The Laws of Thermodynamics
Learn about the first and second laws of thermodynamics. Find out how energy is generated, how it converts from one form to another, and what happens to energy in a closed system.
7. Changes in Heat and Energy Diagrams
Did you know that temperature and heat are not the same thing? Did you know that the temperature of water doesn't change when it boils? This lesson describes the relationship between heat and temperature. Diagrams are used to illustrate the relationship between heat and temperature during phase changes.
8. Energy and Life: The Transformation of Energy in Living Organisms
While the sun is an excellent source of energy, not all forms of life can utilize the sun's energy directly. This lesson describes how plants transform the sun's energy into potential energy stored in sugar, how living organisms utilize energy in sugar to perform work, and how the relationship between photosynthesis and cellular respiration is necessary for life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Middle Grades General Science 5-9 (004): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Structure and Behavior of Matter
- Trends of the Periodic Table
- Gas Laws
- Properties of Waves
- Electricity and Magnetic Force
- The Electromagnetic Spectrum and Electric Units
- Plate Tectonics and Dating Methods
- Cycles and Layers of the Earth
- Space Science
- Cell Biology & Division
- Chemical Reactions of Metabolism
- Biology of Genetics
- Plant Biology Overview
- Human Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Overview of Evolution & Natural Selection
- Organism Classification & Phylogenesis
- Ecology & Florida
- Scientific Principles
- The Science Learning Environment
- FTCE Middle Grades General Science 5-9 Flashcards