About This Chapter
Basics of Trigonometry - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll better your understanding of sine and cosine. You'll also improve your skills at graphing both sine and cosine transformations.
Later on in this chapter, unit circles are addressed, and you'll learn how to graph tangent functions. Finishing this chapter helps you complete these objectives:
- Identify what sine and cosine are
- Graph tangent function, sine and cosine transformations
- Relate right triangles to sine and cosine
- Convert between radians and degrees
Working through this chapter is simple thanks to each lesson's video format, which averages around 5-10 minutes. It's easy to hop back to the precise spot in the lesson you want to review by using the handy video tags. The lessons also have corresponding quizzes so that you can assess your understanding. There are also online instructors available in case you get confused with a math principle.
1. Trigonometry: Sine and Cosine
Learn an easy trick to help you solve trigonometry problems, including problems with sine, cosine and inverse trig functions. At the end of this lesson, you'll know what SohCahToa means and how to use it.
2. Graphing Sine and Cosine Transformations
What happens when we take the sine and cosine wave and transform them? They get bigger, smaller, faster and slower. Find out how in this lesson on sine and cosine wave transformations.
3. Graphing the Tangent Function: Amplitude, Period, Phase Shift & Vertical Shift
Take a look at how the graph of a tangent function and how we can transform it by making a few small changes to its equation. This video shows how to graph the original function and explains its transformations.
4. Unit Circle: Memorizing the First Quadrant
Memorizing the unit circle can be a daunting task, but this lesson will show you a pattern to help you memorize the points, degree measures, and radian measures for the entire first quadrant.
5. Using Unit Circles to Relate Right Triangles to Sine & Cosine
The unit circle is a helpful tool for understanding trigonometric concepts. In this lesson, we'll look at right triangles on the unit circle to better grasp sine and cosine.
6. Converting Between Radians and Degrees
Angles can be measured in degrees or radians. This lesson will explore the difference and provide you with a simple calculation that can be used to convert degrees into radians and radians into degrees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (096): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basic Number Sense
- Fundamentals of Calculation
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving
- Logic in Mathematics
- Expressions, Functions & Operations
- Expressions & Equations in Algebra
- Understanding Algebraic Functions
- Using Algebraic Functions
- Polynomials, Rational Equations & Trigonometric Equations
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Measuring Geometric Figures
- Relationships Between Figures in Geometry
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Bivariate Relationships in Statistics
- Using Tables & Graphs
- Interpreting Statistical Data
- Probability Overview
- Introduction to Conditional Probability & Diagrams
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- Strategies for Effective Writing
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Conventions in Writing: Effective Usage
- Constructing Sentences & Paragraphs
- Argumentative Writing Overview
- Structuring Informational & Explanatory Texts
- MTTC Professional Readiness Flashcards