About This Chapter
Basics of Weather & Climate - Chapter Summary
Study the basics of weather and climate at your own pace with this engaging chapter. Our lessons cover subjects such as the relationship between climate and the uneven heating of the earth's surface and the natural factors that determine a region's climate. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how climate is affected by geography
- Outline the geography of the four seasons
- Identify the different weather variables
- Discuss the ways in which geography affects the weather
- Detail the different types of weather fronts and their effects on the weather
- Explore the different air mass types
- Describe the tools, maps and symbols used to predict the weather
In this chapter, you'll find the resources that you need to study these topics, including lessons, videos and more. Before or after reviewing the lessons, you can take the lesson quizzes to quickly assess your understanding. Any questions that come up along the way can be directed to one of our instructors through the Dashboard.
1. How the Uneven Heating of Earth's Surface Affects Climate
In this lesson, we'll be exploring how the uneven heating of the Earth causes characteristic climates in different parts of the globe. We'll cover why the Earth doesn't heat evenly and the climates it causes in tropical, temperate and polar regions.
2. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
3. How Geography Affects Climate
Have you ever wondered why the Earth has so many different climates? In this lesson, you will learn about the relationships between geography and climate that help provide an explanation about the differences.
4. Geography of the Four Seasons
This lesson will explain how the earth's axis and rotation affect seasons. In doing this, it will also highlight the concept of the summer and winter solstices, as well as how seasons vary around the globe.
5. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
6. How Geography Affects the Weather
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain how geography affects the weather, including physical geography and human geography. A short quiz will follow.
7. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
8. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
9. Predicting the Weather: Tools, Maps & Symbols
How do weather forecasters predict the weather? What tools are used? When you look at a weather map, what do all the symbols mean? Learn about predicting and mapping the weather in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards