About This Chapter
Behavioral Assessment, Intervention & Support - Chapter Summary
In this informative chapter, our instructors outline behavioral intervention, support and assessment. Some of the topics covered here include how behavioral data is measured and some of the plans and strategies used to address any issues. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to do the following:
- Provide examples of effective functional behavior assessments
- Outline the strategies provided in a behavior intervention plan
- Discuss special education students and PBIS
- Give examples of positive behavior support
- Explain how social behavior data is measured and collected in the classroom
These informative learning tools are accessible to you 24 hours a day, so you can study on your mobile device or computer at any time that works for you. Before, during or after working through the lessons, the accompanying multiple-choice quizzes are a great way to assess your comprehension. Our easy-to-use Dashboard allows you to track your progress as you complete the chapter.
1. Functional Behavior Assessment: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of a functional behavior assessment (FBA) and how it functions as a tool to help children replace problem behaviors with more desirable behaviors. You will learn the purpose of an FBA, as well as the components of or steps in conducting an FBA.
2. Behavior Intervention Plan: Definition & Strategies
A behavior intervention plan (BIP) is a plan created based on information from a functional behavioral assessment (FBA). Let's dissect the anatomy of a behavior intervention plan: the definition, roots of behavior, and a review of effective strategies that will leave you cool, confident, and capable in the classroom.
3. PBIS & Special Education Students
This lesson explains what PBIS is, why it is important, and how it affects students with special needs. It also provides a step-by-step process on how to implement PBIS in your classroom and school.
4. Positive Behavior Support: Strategies & Examples
Positive behavior support (PBS) is an approach to managing students who present behavioral challenges in the classroom. This lesson defines PBS and provides strategies for and examples of dealing with behavior challenges.
5. How to Measure & Collect Social Behavior Data in the Classroom
In this lesson, we will look at how to collect and measure data of social behaviors in the classroom. We will also identify how to recognize behaviors that should be measured and other factors that warrant attention.
6. Methods & Considerations for Disciplining Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities have unique needs and disciplining them is no easy task. This lesson will discuss the methods and considerations for disciplining students with disabilities. We will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Special Education (043): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Development Overview
- Students with Individual Disabilities, Disorders & Impairments
- Historical, Legal & Ethical Foundations of Special Education
- Special Education Services & IEPs
- Student Assessment in SPED
- Curriculum Planning & Accessibility in SPED
- Instructional Practices for Student Success in SPED
- Technology in the Special Needs Classroom
- Communication & Social Skills in the SPED Classroom
- Transition Planning & Life Skills for SPED Students
- Managing the Learning Environment in Special Education
- Communication & Collaborative Approaches in Special Education
- Effective Teaching & Professional Growth in Special Education
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Special Education Flashcards