About This Chapter
Behavioral & Developmental Factors - Chapter Summary
Work through engaging lessons on behavioral and developmental factors at your leisure in this informative and helpful chapter. As you study, you'll watch videos about factors that influence growth and development, as well as the stages of prenatal development and psychology. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the impact of abuse and neglect on child growth and development
- Outline the effects of substance abuse on students
- Detail the effects chronic illness and physical disabilities have on human development
- Explain mental health development during childhood and adolescence
- Describe the impact of mental health issues on educational outcomes
- Define psychopharmacology and its impact on students
In this chapter, you have a resource you can use to study these topics any time on your mobile device or computer. We've taken the worry out of studying by providing access to one of our experts who will answer your questions through the Dashboard. Our self-assessment quizzes and chapter test are handy ways to check your comprehension and ensure you're ready to move on.
1. Factors Influencing Growth & Development
There are numerous factors that play various roles in our growth and development. This lesson looks at the main categories of factors and specific examples of their impact on growth and development.
2. Prenatal Development & Psychology: Stages & Abnormal Development
How is prenatal development related to psychology? How are minds forming in the womb still linked to the outside environment? This lesson explores the stages of prenatal development and a mother's ability to affect her unborn child.
3. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
4. The Effects of Substance Abuse on Students
How does substance abuse affect the student population? You might be surprised to learn it can lead to way more than just failing grades. This lesson points out many other negative consequences of substance abuse in students.
5. Chronic Illness & Physical Disabilities: Effects on Human Development
What are chronic illnesses and physical disabilities? How do these conditions impact both the individual and society? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
6. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
7. The Impact of Mental Health Issues on Educational Outcomes
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the various ways in which mental health issues can affect a person's education outcomes. This includes the interactions between mental disorders and things like concentration, stamina, and pressure.
8. Psychopharmacology & Its Impact on Students
In this lesson, we will look at the more common issues students have that can benefit from medication treatments. We will also look at the impact this kind of medication treatment will have on those students in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT School Psychologist Exam (CEOE) (033): Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Development Topics
- Human Development Issues
- Basics of Developmental Learning Theories
- Preparing for Diverse Learning Environments
- Curriculum Strategy & Development
- Forms & Methods of Assessment of Learning
- Learning Assessment Issues
- Problem Identification in School Psychology
- Psychological Consultation & Collaboration in School Settings
- Individual & Group Counseling
- Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- Crisis Counseling Methods & Interventions
- Education Research & Program Evaluation
- Program Evaluation for School Counselors
- Communication & Collaboration
- Roles & Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor
- Professional Foundations: Learning Strategies
- Legal Issues in School Counseling