About This Chapter
Behavioral and Mental Health in Childhood & Adolescence - Chapter Summary
Teachers often need to be prepared to handle emotional and behavioral disorders in the classroom. This chapter is a great resource you can use to familiarize yourself with various types of these disorders and techniques you can use to identify and respond to anger, stress, anxiety and depression in your students. In this chapter, you will find details about the following topics:
- Childhood fears and anxieties
- Mental health disorders appearing in childhood and adolescence
- Types of childhood aggression and self-regulated practices
- Symptoms of anger issues in children and anger management methods
- Causes, symptoms and treatment of anxiety disorders
- Overviews of depression and suicide
- The link between stress and chronic disorders
- Types and symptoms of behavioral disorders and how to identify them
- Components and implementation of a school-wide PBIS program
This chapter uses video and text lessons providing expert instruction and 24/7 accessibility so you can learn about these topics when it's most convenient for you. Video lesson transcripts are even printable so you can create handy references. Test your understanding of this material with lesson-specific self-assessment quizzes as well as a chapter exam.
How It Helps
- Increases understanding of various disorders: Allows you to formulate supportive and encouraging responses to various emotional and behavioral disorders with a full understanding of all symptoms and causes.
- Creates a positive learning environment for children with disorders: Ensures children with these types of disorders get the proper support from their teachers in the classroom.
- Expands awareness of symptoms: Results in an increased awareness of which disorder a child or teen might suffer from based on symptoms and allows you to apply appropriate techniques for each disorder.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand childhood fears and anxieties as they relate to mental health development in children
- Regulate aggressive behaviors in children
- Apply anger management techniques for children with anger issues
- Define different anxiety disorders
- Relate details about causes and treatments for depression and suicidal thoughts
- Explain the effect of stress on chronic ailments
- Identify specific symptoms of various emotional and behavioral disorders
- Participate in a school-wide PBIS program
1. Fears and Anxieties in Early Childhood
Fear is a normal part of childhood, but many parents worry when their children act fearful. Watch this lesson to find out more about the purpose of fear, common childhood fears, and what parents can do to help children deal with fear.
2. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
3. Emotion Regulation and Aggression in Early Childhood
What happens when a sweet kid suddenly starts hitting, kicking, and doing other aggressive things? In this lesson, we'll explore aggression in early childhood, including the main types of aggression and how to increase self-regulation.
4. Anger Issues: Symptoms & Causes
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of 'anger' and 'anger management', as well as the symptoms and causes of anger. Following the lesson is a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
5. Anger Management Techniques for Children
In this lesson, you will learn the symptoms of anger as well as a variety of tasks for anger management for children. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz.
6. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
7. What Is Depression? - Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
In this lesson you will learn the difference between the feeling of depression and Major Depressive Disorder, or Major Depression. You will also learn about the causes behind Major Depression and what the current treatments are for people suffering from the disorder.
8. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
9. How Stress and Control Issues Affect Health and Chronic Conditions
In this lesson, we'll look at how the idea of control, or the illusion of control, leads a person to stress. This stress, in turn, magnifies many chronic ailments.
10. Behavioral Disorders in Children: Definition & Symptoms
Behavioral disorders disrupt children and the people and things around them. Learn about the different types of behavioral problems, the symptoms, and more.
11. What is School-Wide PBIS? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will define and outline the key principles of PBIS, positive behavioral interventions and support. We'll also identify the purpose of PBIS and describe how it can be implemented to build a positive school community.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the School Violence Prevention course
- Social & Emotional Development During Childhood
- Challenges in Childhood & Adolescence
- Child & Teen Abuse
- Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect
- Violence in Homes, Schools & Society
- Teen Dating Violence
- Understanding & Managing Student Aggression
- Preventing Bullying in Schools
- School Violence Prevention Strategies
- Intervening & Responding to Crises at School