About This Chapter
Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our expert nursing instructors to review important psychological and behavioral nursing actions. As you work through these informative lessons, you'll study techniques and interventions for non-violent crises, communication problems, patient restraint and much more. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Recognize and manage communication problems with elderly patients
- Describe several de-escalation and non-violent crisis intervention techniques for nurses
- Understand how nurses restrain patients and manage behavioral therapeutic interventions
- Evaluate behavioral and psychosocial disorder assessments
To help you reinforce your understanding of these concepts, we've included interactive quizzes throughout the chapter. The chapter is accessible on any computer or mobile device, and you can study whenever it's convenient. Finally, if you have any questions, you can easily submit them to our instructors online at any time.
1. Communication Problems with Geriatric Patients: Recognition & Management
Explore the challenges of effective communication among elderly people, including physical and cognitive issues that impede the ability of the elderly to express themselves and their ability to understand others, and learn ways to address these issues.
2. Non-Violent Crisis Intervention & De-Escalation Techniques for Nurses
In this lesson, we will learn how to recognize behavioral emergencies which may escalate into crisis situations, as well as learn techniques for diffusing and de-escalating these situations to decrease violence in the healthcare setting.
3. Behavioral Therapeutic Interventions: Indications & Patient Management
Behavioral therapy involves different types of treatments, acknowledgment of a variety of disorders, and individualized management plans. This lesson will discuss the indications and patient management for behavioral therapeutic interventions.
4. Restraining Patients: Indications & Management for Nurses
Restraining patients should only be used as a very last resort, but there are situations when it is necessary. In this lesson, we will learn about when restraints are appropriate and how they should be managed by the nurse caring for them.
5. Assessments for Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders
Mental health therapists use different assessments to identify the disorders their patients present with. Each assessment consists of a series of questions designed to help clients describe and identify their current symptoms. The results allow the therapist to determine if the client has issues with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder or alcoholism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing