About This Chapter
Benefits & Leaves of Absence in California Employment - Chapter Summary
Do you remember the details about paid sick leave and COBRA? Well, this chapter gives the opportunity to view short and interesting video lessons about them. You can test just how well you remember the kinds of leave protections with our short, multiple-choice quizzes. Your completion of this chapter will spark your memory of the following:
- Requirements for employer-sponsored benefits
- Obligations of family leave in California
- Paid sick leave
- Summary of COBRA
- Definition of California State Disability Insurance
- Impact of paid family leave on employers
- Requirements for kin care and pregnancy disability leave
- Kinds of leave protections and protected time off
- Requirements for time off for voting
Our video lessons capture your attention and before you know it, the lessons are over. This chapter allows you to work at your own pace. Lesson transcripts are available for each video lesson. The quizzes allow you chances to watch the parts of the videos that address the correct answers. Let our instructors know if you have any questions while you are studying.
1. Employer-Sponsored Benefit Plans: Requirements & Examples
There are a variety of different employee benefit plans and regulations surrounding them. This lesson will review what an employer sponsored benefit plan is, and what California's specific legal requirements are.
2. Family Leave in California: Laws, Obligations & Compliance
In this lesson, we will discuss California's Family Leave program, the laws that pertain to family leave, and how these laws apply in the state of California.
3. Taking Paid Sick Leave in California
This lesson will help employees in the State of California determine if they have eligibility for paid sick leave according to the new law that went into effect on January 1, 2015. Qualifications and usage guidelines will also be reviewed.
4. COBRA: Overview and Importance
Health insurance is one of the most important benefits an employee receives. In this lesson, you'll learn how COBRA allows an employee to keep his insurance coverage after he has left employment. A short quiz follows.
5. California State Disability Insurance: Definition & Eligibility
This lesson will provide you with information about California's State Disability Insurance program and eligibility requirements. The difference between disability insurance and paid family leave will also be reviewed.
6. Effects of Paid Family Leave on Employers & Employees
This lesson will explore the Parent and Family Leave program and its effect on businesses and employees. You will gain an understanding of this historic law which, in part, allows individual workers to take time off and retain the right to return to work for the care of various family members.
7. Pregnancy Disability Leave Requirements & Eligibility
In this lesson, we will specifically discuss Pregnancy Disability Leave in the state of California. We will go into detail about who can take it, for how long, if they receive compensation, insurance coverage and job protection.
8. California Family Rights Act: Definition & Purpose
In this lesson, you will learn the meaning and reason for the establishment of the California Family Rights Act (CFRA). You will also learn about requirements for displaying documents related to the California Family Rights Act.
9. Types of Leave Protections
Different states have different leave protections for their workers. This lesson discusses Pregnancy Disability Leave, the California Family Rights Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act as well as the posting requirements.
10. Forms of Protected Time Off in California
This lesson will review the forms of protected time off in California. Paid Sick Leave, Kin Care, and Pregnancy Disability leave will be discussed along with the 11 additional protected labor leave laws that are less well known.
11. Time Off for Voting in California
California has laws that protect the ability of voters to exercise their voting rights without jeopardizing their income. In this lesson we'll look at California's time off for voting laws and the employer obligations to post notices regarding the law.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PHR-CA/SPHR-CA Certification Exam: Practice & Study Guide course
- Employment Laws & Enforcement Agencies
- California Employee Compensation Law
- Employment & Employee Relations in California
- California New Hire Documents
- Workplace Posting Requirements
- California Termination Documents
- California Employment Tax Forms & Requirements
- Health, Safety & Workers' Compensation in California
- PHR-CA/SPHR-CA Certification Exam Flashcards