About This Chapter
Best Practices in Information Technology - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a high-level overview of best practices in the field of information technology. Using an approachable and engaging teaching style, our expert instructors break down the fundamentals of ITIL processes, HIPAA laws, the HIMMS organization and protections against Internet security threats. The chapter comes with interactive self-assessment quizzes that go over the most important terms and concepts from the lessons. Study wherever and whenever it's convenient, and be sure to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Outline the ITIL framework
- Recognize the mission of the HIMMS organization
- Summarize HIPAA laws and requirements
- Define the characteristics of information security threats
- Compare several Internet security threat types
- Evaluate several threat modeling tools
- Explain the encryption and security of HIPAA-compliant cloud storage
1. What is ITIL? - Framework & Processes
This lesson provides an overview of ITIL, including its history and development. With this as a baseline, the lesson then goes into a discussion of the ITIL framework or methodology, and how its adoption can result in better IT services and lower costs within an organization.
2. HIMSS Organization: Global Reach & Mission
Healthcare technology is taking patient care to a whole new level. This lesson explains a valuable resource for health information professionals called the Heath Information and Management Systems Society, which has the mission to improve patient care using technology.
3. What is HIPAA? - Definition, Requirements & Laws
This lesson discusses the United States Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, better known as HIPAA. Let's take a look at the legal protections and administrative requirements of this law.
4. Definition of Threat in Information Security
Information security is a major topic in the news these days. After all, information plays a role in almost everything we do. In this lesson, we'll take a look at what it is, threats, and why they are important.
5. Types of Internet Security Threats
In this lesson, we will define internet security, identify the information being threatened, and discuss the fourteen common internet security threats invading our networks.
6. Threat Modeling: Process, Tools & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn about threat modeling to keep your organization safe from hackers. You'll learn about protecting assets from threats, both internal and external, ranging from hackers to natural disasters.
7. HIPAA Compliant Cloud Storage: Encryption & Security
In this lesson, we'll discuss the use of cloud storage to store protected health information and how to protect data with security and encryption, which can ensure that health care organizations are HIPPA compliant.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 309: Healthcare Informatics course
- Introduction to Health Care Informatics
- Using Data & Databases in Health Care Informatics
- Electronic Health Records & Evidence-Based Practices
- Project Development
- Consumer Informatics
- TeleHealth Overview
- Health Care Professionals & Technology Evaluation
- Trends in Health Care Informatics
- Required Assignments for Health 309