About This Chapter
Bias, Cultural Competence & Awareness - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors present topics relating to bias, cultural competence and awareness in this concise chapter. Work at your own pace as you study subjects such as bias reduction, social awareness and objective self awareness. Our learning materials are self paced so you can work as quickly or as slowly through the chapter as you need to. To ensure your ability to study at any time that works best for you, we've made this chapter accessible 24/7 on any computer or mobile device. You should be able to do the following once you complete this chapter:
- Define bias and its different types
- Outline the effects and methods associated with bias reduction
- Identify the model and definition of cultural competence
- Discuss social awareness theories
- Define objective social awareness and its theory
1. What is Bias? - Definition & Types
Through this lesson, you will learn how to define bias and explore a brief introduction to some of the types that exist in psychology and the social sciences. When you are through with the lesson, you can test your new knowledge with a short quiz.
2. Bias Reduction: Methods & Effects
Reducing bias is imperative for a just society. This lesson reviews multiple methods of bias reduction and the effects those methods have on the individual.
3. Cultural Competence: Definition & Model
Training in cultural competence is becoming mandatory in many healthcare and counseling arenas. Learn about the definition and importance of cultural competence, as well as the Campinha-Bacote Model of cultural competence in this lesson.
4. Social Awareness: Definition, Example & Theories
Being socially aware is important for healthy relationships, both personal and professional. This lesson defines social awareness and gives tips for improving social awareness.
5. Objective Self Awareness: Theory and Definition
In psychology, the concept of objective self-awareness is complex and significantly contributes to how we live our lives. Through this lesson, you will learn how to define objective self-awareness and explore how the theory was developed.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 303: Psychology of Diversity course
- Social Identity & Categorization Theories
- Understanding Diversity in Psychology
- The Psychological Study of Diversity
- Psychology of Diversity Theories & Research
- Psychological Perspectives of Human Behavior
- Understanding Racism & Discrimination
- Understanding of Stereotypes & Biases
- Multiculturalism & Cultural Relativism
- Fundamentals of Cultural Research in Psychology
- Psychology Research Methods & Tools
- Required Assignments for Psychology 303