About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify lessons in the Big Ideas Math textbook's Equations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover equation topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students Will Learn:
- Linear equation problem-solving methods
- Using the addition and multiplication principles to solve equations
- Steps for solving multi-step equations
- The addition and subtraction properties of equality
- The multiplication and division properties of equality
- Uses of the distributive property
- Writing equations and formulas
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
2. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
3. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
4. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
5. Addition Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to use the addition property of equality to help you solve problems. In addition, you can learn the formula for this property.
6. Subtraction Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, we look at the subtraction property of equality. Learn how it helps you to solve problems and how it keeps equations the same. Learn what you must do to both sides of an equation.
7. Multiplication Property of Equality: Definition & Example
After watching this video lesson, you will learn to use the multiplication property of equality to help you solve problems in math. You will also learn the formula for this property.
8. Division Property of Equality: Definition & Example
In this video lesson, you will learn about the division property of equality, its formula, and how you can use it to help you solve problems where you are looking for an unknown number.
9. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
10. How to Write Equations & Formulas
Writing equations and formulas correctly is generally the first step toward solving or using them, especially in word problems or real-life situations. In this lesson, we will explore the steps for writing equations and formulas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Common Core 8th Grade: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 2: Transformations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 3: Angles & Triangles
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 4: Graphing & Writing Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 5: Systems of Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 6: Functions
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 7: Real Numbers & the Pythagorean Theorem
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 8: Volume & Similar Solids
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 9: Data Analysis & Displays
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 10: Exponents & Scientific Notation