About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify lessons in the Big Ideas Math textbook's Exponents & Scientific Notation chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the exponent and scientific notation topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Using exponential notation and exponential expressions
- The order of operations
- The product of powers rule
- The quotient of powers rule
- Definition of zero and negative exponents
- Significant figures
- Scientific notation
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Use Exponential Notation
Exponential notation is a mathematical method for writing longer multiplication problems in a simplified manner. This lesson will define how to work with exponential notation and give some examples of how it is used.
2. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
3. Product Of Powers: Definition, Rule & Property
The product of powers rule states that when multiplying two powers with the same base, just add the exponents. Confused yet? This lesson will clear everything up, give some examples and provide a quiz for you to test your knowledge.
4. Quotient Of Powers: Property & Examples
The quotient of powers rule states that when dividing two powers with the same base, just subtract the exponents. Don't worry if that doesn't make sense off the bat; this lesson will clear everything up, give some examples, and provide a quiz for you to test your knowledge.
5. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
6. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
7. Significant Figures and Scientific Notation
Are 7.5 grams and 7.50 grams the same? How do scientists represent very large and very small quantities? Find out the answers to these questions in this video.
8. Scientific Notation: Practice Problems
Scientific notation has a lot of exponents, but it's really not that bad - and it's really convenient for working with awkwardly big or small numbers! Get some practice here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Common Core 8th Grade: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 1: Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 2: Transformations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 3: Angles & Triangles
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 4: Graphing & Writing Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 5: Systems of Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 6: Functions
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 7: Real Numbers & the Pythagorean Theorem
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 8: Volume & Similar Solids
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 9: Data Analysis & Displays