About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify lessons in the Big Ideas Math textbook's Transformations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the transformation topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the math topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Congruent shapes
- Similar shapes
- Scale factors
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Properties of Congruent and Similar Shapes
In this lesson, we'll look at triangles, rectangles and other shapes that share properties. This includes both congruent and similar shapes. We'll also practice identifying the missing properties of these shapes.
2. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
An object may be relocated in a coordinate plane by changing the coordinates of the points in an object while retaining the original shape of the object. Learn about the process of translation in mathematics and how it is done on geometric shapes and figures.
3. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are defined as two triangles that possess proportional corresponding sides and congruent corresponding angles. Triangle similarity theorems use angle and side comparisons to determine whether two triangles are similar. Learn about the language of similarity, triangle similarity theorems (Angle-Angle, Side-Angle-Side, & Side-Side-Side), and how to use theorems to identify similar triangles.
4. Applying Scale Factors to Perimeter, Area, and Volume of Similar Figures
How do shapes change sizes yet retain their proportions and similarities to other shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at what a scale factor is and how to apply it. We'll consider scale factors with regards to three different aspects of similar shapes: perimeter, area and volume.
5. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
When an object is reflected in math, it is flipped across a line. Explore the definition of reflections, what transformations are, how to draw reflections, and the overview of reflections in this lesson.
6. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
In mathematics, rotations occur when geometric figures move clockwise or counterclockwise around a specific point. Learn the definition and explore an overview of math rotations, which are one of four types of geometric transformations, including translation, reflection, and dilation.
7. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilation in math is a transformation that changes the size of a figure so it becomes larger or smaller without changing shape. Study the definition of dilation and the meaning of dilations not on a coordinate plane and on a coordinate plane.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Common Core 8th Grade: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 1: Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 3: Angles & Triangles
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 4: Graphing & Writing Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 5: Systems of Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 6: Functions
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 7: Real Numbers & the Pythagorean Theorem
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 8: Volume & Similar Solids
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 9: Data Analysis & Displays
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 10: Exponents & Scientific Notation