About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify lessons in the Real Numbers & the Pythagorean Theorem chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the Pythagorean theorem and real number topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students Will Learn:
- Steps for finding and estimating square roots
- Calculate cube roots
- Applying the Pythagorean theorem
- Converse and special cases of the Pythagorean theorem
- Determining distance with the Pythagorean theorem
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Find the Square Root of a Number
What is a square root? In this lesson, we'll learn what a square root is and how to find it. We'll review a variety of examples in order to master the concept.
2. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
3. Estimating Square Roots
Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The square root is the inverse of the squared (or multiplying a number by itself) operation. There is an easy method for estimating the square root of a number, which you will learn in this lesson.
4. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
5. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
6. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
7. Cube Root: Definition, Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we're going to discover the world of cube roots! By the time we're done, you should be able to define what a cube root is, explain how to solve for the cube root of a number, and be familiar with several common cube roots.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Common Core 8th Grade: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 1: Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 2: Transformations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 3: Angles & Triangles
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 4: Graphing & Writing Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 5: Systems of Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 6: Functions
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 8: Volume & Similar Solids
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 9: Data Analysis & Displays
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 10: Exponents & Scientific Notation