About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify lessons in the Big Ideas Math textbook's Volume & Similar Solids chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the volume topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, re-watch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn how to:
- Find the area and volume of cylinders
- Calculate area and volume of cones
- Determine the area and volume of spheres
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
2. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
3. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Common Core 8th Grade: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 1: Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 2: Transformations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 3: Angles & Triangles
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 4: Graphing & Writing Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 5: Systems of Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 6: Functions
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 7: Real Numbers & the Pythagorean Theorem
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 9: Data Analysis & Displays
- Big Ideas Math 8th Grade Chapter 10: Exponents & Scientific Notation