About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Big Ideas Math Solving Linear Inequalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the linear inequalities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- What an inequality is
- How one-variable and two-variable inequalities are graphed
- How to solve one-step and two-step linear inequalities
- The definition and concept of compound inequalities
- How to solve compound inequalities
- How to graph absolute value inequalities
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Solving One-Step Linear Inequalities
In this video lesson, you will learn how you can solve any kind of linear inequality that only requires one step. Learn when you need to subtract, when you need to add, when you need to multiply, and when you need to divide.
4. Solving Two-Step Linear Inequalities
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve any kind of linear inequality problem where you only have to perform two steps. You will know in what order to perform each step and you will know just what kind of operation you need to do.
5. Compound Inequality: Definition & Concept
A compound inequality is simply the combination of two or more inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn about different ways two inequalities can be combined and how to find their solution using a number line.
6. How to Solve 'And' & 'Or' Compound Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn the difference between a conjunction and a disjunction and how to solve and graph 'and' and 'or' inequalities on the number line.
7. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
8. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 1: Solving Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 3: Graphing Linear Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 4: Writing Linear Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 5: Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 6: Exponential Functions & Sequences
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 7: Polynomial Equations & Factoring
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 8: Graphing Quadratic Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 9: Solving Quadratic Equations
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 10: Radical Functions & Equations
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 1 - Chapter 11: Data Analysis & Displays