About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Rational Functions chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the rational function concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the algebra topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Defining direct and inverse variation problems
- How to solve equations of inverse variation
- Graphing radical functions
- Simplifying complex rational expressions
- Multiplying, dividing, adding and subtracting radical expressions
- How to solve radical equations
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Direct and Inverse Variation Problems: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn how to approach questions about direct and inverse variation with a simple explanation of what the terms mean and how to apply them to problems.
2. Solving Equations of Inverse Variation
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to identify problems where you can use the formula for inverse variation to solve them. Learn what is involved and how easy they are to solve.
3. Graphing & Analyzing Rational Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph a rational function by analyzing its horizontal and vertical asymptotes. Learn to find how the graph behaves around the asymptotes.
4. Graphing a Translation of a Rational Function
We are going to take a look at rational functions and their graphs. Specifically, we will study the translations of rational functions and two different ways to graph these translations by getting certain information from the function itself.
5. Simplifying Complex Rational Expressions
When it comes to fractions, things may seem to get really complicated and scary when you have a fraction on top of a fraction. But never fear, after watching this video lesson, you will be able to simplify these expressions like a pro.
6. How to Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
Multiplying and dividing rational polynomial expressions is exactly like multiplying and dividing fractions. Like fractions, we will reduce. With polynomial expressions we use factoring and canceling. I also give you a little mnemonic to help you remember when you need a common denominator and when you don't.
7. How to Add and Subtract Rational Expressions
Adding and subtracting rational expressions brings everything you learned about fractions into the world of algebra. We will mix common denominators with factoring and FOILing.
8. Solving a Rational Equation With Cross Multiplication
In this lesson, we will examine the definition of a rational equation and look at a process we can use to solve rational equations. We will use examples to illustrate this solving process.
9. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Algebra 2: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 1: Linear Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 2: Quadratic Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 3: Quadratic Equations and Complex Numbers
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 4: Polynomial Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 5: Rational Exponents and Radical Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 6: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 8: Sequences and Series
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 9: Trigonometric Ratios and Functions
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 10: Probability
- Big Ideas Math Algebra 2 - Chapter 11: Data Analysis and Statistics