About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Expressions and Equations chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the expressions and equations you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Defining and simplfying algebraic expressions
- Problem solving with linear equations
- Using the addition and multiplication principles to to solve equations
- Solving multiple-step equations
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
2. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
3. Problem-Solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
4. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
5. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
6. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
7. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 1: Integers
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 2: Rational Numbers
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 4: Inequalities
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 5: Ratios and Proportions
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 6: Percents
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 7: Construction and Scale Drawings
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 8: Circles
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 9: Surface Area & Volume
- Big Ideas Math Common Core 7th Grade Chapter 10: Probability & Statistics