About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Circumference, Area and Volume chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the circumference, area and volume concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the geometry topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Definitions of circumference and arc length
- Finding the area and circumference of circles
- Formulas for determining the area of a sector, rhombus, kite and regular polygon
- What platonic solids are
- How to find volume in cylinders, prisms, pyramids, cones and spheres
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Circumference? - Definition & Equation
In this lesson, you'll learn how to define and find the circumference of a circle using two equations: one that involves the diameter and another that involves the radius.
2. Arc Length: Definition & Equation
Arc length is an important aspect to understanding portions of curved lengths. As you will learn in this lesson, combining our knowledge of circumference and central angle measures allows us to find arc length.
3. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
4. Finding the Area of a Sector: Formula & Practice Problems
In this lesson, you'll review your knowledge of circle vocabulary and then discover how to calculate the area of a sector of a circle. The lesson covers finding the area of the sector using degrees and radians.
5. Measuring the Area of a Rhombus: Formula & Examples
Did you know that there are three ways to find the area of a rhombus? Watch this video lesson to learn all three of them. See what information you need for each method as well as the steps required for each.
6. Area of a Kite: Formula & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn the mathematical definition of a kite and see what this shape looks like. We'll then take things a step further and learn how to use a formula to find the area of a kite.
7. Measuring the Area of Regular Polygons: Formula & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn why a regular polygon makes your life easier when it comes to finding the area inside one. Learn the one formula for area that will work for any type of regular polygon.
8. What Are Platonic Solids? - Definition and Types
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn that there are only five platonic solids in the whole world. You will also learn what they look like and see real-life examples.
9. Cross Section: Definition & Example
This lesson will define cross sections. We will look at famous types of cross sections called conic sections, how cross sections show up in the world around us, and how the study of these is useful in various real world scenarios.
10. Cross-Sections of 3D Figures & Revolutions of Solids
In this lesson, we will study the connections between 2-dimensional and 3-dimenstional shapes by looking at the similarities between their nets, cross sections, and revolutions.
11. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
12. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
13. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
14. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
15. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 1: Basics of Geometry
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proofs
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 4: Transformations
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 5: Congruent Triangles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 6: Relationships Within Triangles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 7: Quadrilaterals and Other Polygons
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 8: Similarity
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 9: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 12: Probability