About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Transformations chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the transformation concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the geometry topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- The definitions of translation, reflection and rotation
- How to perform compositions
- How to identify the line of symmetry
- What rotational symmetry and congruent figures are
- The meaning of dilation in math
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
2. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
3. Glide Reflection in Geometry: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we will look at transformations of geometric figures and concentrate on one type of transformation in particular: a glide reflection. Through a definition and examples, we will become comfortable with this type of transformation.
4. Identifying the Line of Symmetry: Definition & Examples
Symmetry can occur in many different ways in mathematics. In this lesson, learn how to identify unique forms of symmetry by finding the line of symmetry.
5. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
6. What is Rotational Symmetry? - Definition & Examples
If you have ever tried to hang a picture and not been able to tell which end was up, then your picture might have had rotational symmetry. Rotational symmetry is the characteristic that makes an object look the same even after you've rotated it.
7. What Are Congruent Figures? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what congruent figures are. You'll also see a few examples of congruent and non-congruent figures. Then, test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
8. Congruence Transformation: Definition & Theorems
Congruence transformations happen all around us. This lesson will define congruence transformations and explore a couple of interesting theorems about these types of transformations as well as look at examples.
9. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
10. Similarity Transformations in Corresponding Figures
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can tell if two figures are similar by using similarity transformations. Learn how to find the corresponding sides and angles and then how to compare them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 1: Basics of Geometry
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proofs
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 5: Congruent Triangles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 6: Relationships Within Triangles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 7: Quadrilaterals and Other Polygons
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 8: Similarity
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 9: Right Triangles and Trigonometry
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 11: Circumference, Area, and Volume
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 12: Probability