About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Right Triangles and Trigonometry chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the triangle and trigonometry concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the geometry topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Applying the Pythagorean Theorem
- What the types of special right triangles are
- Trigonometric ratios and functions
- The law of sines and the law of cosines
Big Ideas Math is a registered trademark of Larson Texts, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
2. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
3. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
4. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
5. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
6. Practice Finding the Trigonometric Ratios
So you know what sine, cosine and tangent are. Great! But how do you use them? Find out how in this lesson as we find missing sides and angles using trigonometric ratios.
7. Properties of Inverse Trigonometric Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will understand why our inverse trigonometric functions have a limited range. Learn what this does. Also learn the notation for these functions.
8. Law of Sines: Definition and Application
Don't get stuck trying to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. Use the Law of Sines to rescue you from any perilous triangle in which you have just a few pieces of information.
9. Using the Law of Sines to Solve a Triangle
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of sines to find a missing side of a triangle as well as a missing angle of a triangle. Learn what you need to know about the triangle in order to use the formula.
10. Law of Cosines: Definition and Application
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve problems involving three sides and one angle in a triangle. The Law of Cosines, a modification of the Pythagorean Theorem, will save the day.
11. Solving Real World Problems Using the Law of Cosines
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the law of cosines to solve real-world problems. Learn what kinds of real-world problems the law of cosines can help you solve.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Big Ideas Math Geometry: Online Textbook Help course
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 1: Basics of Geometry
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 2: Reasoning and Proofs
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 3: Parallel and Perpendicular Lines
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 4: Transformations
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 5: Congruent Triangles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 6: Relationships Within Triangles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 7: Quadrilaterals and Other Polygons
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 8: Similarity
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 10: Circles
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 11: Circumference, Area, and Volume
- Big Ideas Math Geometry Chapter 12: Probability