About This Chapter
Bioenergetics - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you'll explore key bioenergetics topics, including aerobic exercise, energy transfer, and the products of aerobic respiration. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define photosynthesis and list the environmental factors that affect it
- Measure the rate of photosynthesis
- Explore energy transfer in cells
- Describe the role of glucose in cellular respiration
- Understand anaerobic and aerobic respiration
- Examine the benefits of aerobic exercise
Our subject matter experts present this information in an engaging and easy-to-follow manner. Their teaching strategy includes plenty of real-world examples to help you understood bioenergetics. The video timelines let you navigate the videos and review topics in order of preference. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as worksheets.
1. Photosynthesis: Definition & Reactions
In this lesson we'll cover the definition of photosynthesis, the equation for photosynthesis, as well as the reactants and products. Using diagrams of photosynthesis, we'll go over the formula and process.
2. Photosynthesis: Biology Lab
Plants and other organisms that have the pigment chlorophyll can do something that no other living creature can - capture light energy from the sun and use it to make chemical energy through photosynthesis. In this lab, we'll see how we can set up an experiment to measure the rate of this important process.
3. Environmental Factors That Impact Photosynthesis
What is photosynthesis? Learn about the environmental factors that affect the rate at which photosynthesis happens. Then, take a quiz to test your understanding.
4. Cellular Respiration: Energy Transfer in Cells
Watch this short video to learn the basics about converting organic compounds into ATP, also known as cellular respiration. We'll look at an overview of the process.
5. Role of Glucose in Cellular Respiration
This lesson is on the role of glucose in cellular respiration. In this lesson, we'll explain what cellular respiration is and what we need to start with to get the end products. We'll specifically look at the importance of glucose in this process.
6. Anaerobic Respiration: Definition, Equation & Examples
Many organisms are capable of undergoing anaerobic respiration. In some cases, it's a 'backup plan' when oxygen is absent, and in other cases, they thrive that way. Here we will investigate what anaerobic respiration is, the equation and examples of it at work.
7. Aerobic Respiration: Definition, Steps, Products & Equation
Aerobic respiration is the process most living things undergo to use food energy. Here, we will investigate the definition, the steps of the process, what goes in and what comes out of the process, and the chemical formula. Get ready to breathe!
8. What Is Aerobic Exercise? - Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn about the characteristics of aerobic exercise and its many health benefits. You will also read about examples of different types of aerobic workouts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Mathematics in Science
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Cell Structure & Differentiation
- Understanding Cell Division
- Understanding Cell Transportation
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Structure & Function of the Digestive System
- The Human Circulatory System
- Non-Communicable Diseases Overview
- Communicable Disease Overview
- Disease Defense, Prevention & Treatment
- Plant Tissues & Organs
- Plant Disease & Defenses
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Human Nervous System Overview
- Hormones in the Endocrine & Urinary Systems
- Hormones & Reproduction
- Plant Hormones
- Sexual & Asexual Reproduction
- DNA Structure & Genomes
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetics Disorders
- Genetic Variation & Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- Theories of Biology
- Evidence Supporting Evolution
- Classification of Living Organisms
- Ecology & Biodiversity
- Trophic Levels & Biomass Energy
- Nutrient Cycles in an Ecosystem
- Human Impacts on Biodiversity & Ecosystems
- Food Production & Sustainability
- GCSE Biology Flashcards