About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Biological Bases of Behavior chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Into to biological psychology, genetics and biological treatments for psychological abnormalities||Biopsychologists, nervous system, endocrine system, behavioral neuroscientists, biological model, schizophrenia, electrical brain stimulation|
|Tuesday||Techniques to study the brain and behavior||Brain imaging, EEG, positron emission tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, diffusion tensor imaging|
|Wednesday||Neurons, neurotransmitters, parts of the brain and neuroplasticity||Neurons, sensory neurons, chemical signals, dendrites, synaptic gap, axon; brainstem, cerebellum, thalamus, reticular formation, limbic system, Phineas Gage, Broca's aphasia|
|Thursday||The endocrine system and central and peripheral nervous systems||Endocrine system, thyroid gland, pancreas, adrenal gland, adrenaline; sensory neurons, motor neurons, photoreceptors|
|Friday||The somatic and autonomic and sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems||Fight-or-flight response, rest and digest, pupil dilation, digestive activity, heart rate, adrenal glands|
1. Intro to Biological Psychology
What are the biological factors that affect our behavior? In this lesson, you'll take a look at biological psychology, which looks at the interplay between biological processes and mental states.
2. Biological Treatments for Psychological Abnormalities
The biological model of psychology focuses on treating the underlying physical issues that might be causing psychological disorders. In this lesson, we'll go through some common biological treatments for mental illness.
3. Techniques to Study the Brain and Behavior
Why do you behave the way you do? Human behavior begins in the brain. To study the brain, psychologists use a variety of tools, like EEG, PET and CAT scans, MRI, DTI, and studying pathology in individuals.
4. What is a Neuron? - Definition, Parts & Function
What are the parts of a neuron? You'll watch Neuron Garciaparra work up a sweat as he throws baseballs to demonstrate the structures and functions of the billions of neurons that reside in your body.
5. What is a Neurotransmitter? - Definition, Types, Function & Examples
How do our bodies communicate with our brains and vice versa? In this video, you'll see how neurons and neurotransmitters can be likened to billions of tiny baseball players engaged in a non-stop game of catch.
6. Parts of the Brain
Is there a way to easily remember the many parts of the brain? Don't be afraid of all these complex terms; this lesson outlines some easy and fun phrases to help you memorize the brain's anatomy. Let's take a look.
7. What is Neuroplasticity? - Definition & Examples
Is your brain preprogrammed and unchangeable or adaptive and malleable? As you watch this video, you'll explore how the brain, a more resilient and resourceful machine than any computer, responds to damage and new experiences.
8. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
9. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
10. The Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems
In this lesson, you'll learn about two subdivisions of the autonomic nervous system - the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Watch as a hiker, Phil, runs away from a terrifying bear and see how these systems react to the impending danger!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- History of Psychology Lesson Plans
- Research Methods in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Data Collection in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sampling in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Measurement in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Statistics in Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Evaluating Psychological Research Lesson Plans
- Sensation & Perception Lesson Plans
- Motivation & Needs Lesson Plans
- Emotion in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life Span Developmental Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories for Life Span Development Lesson Plans
- Biological Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sensory & Perceptual Development Lesson Plans
- Cognitive Development Lesson Plans
- Physical Development & Psychology Lesson Plans
- Social Development in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Development & Theories Lesson Plans
- Learning & Conditioning in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Memory & Cognition in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Intelligence Testing in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sleep & Other States of Consciousness Lesson Plans
- Basics of Social Psychology Lesson Plans
- Basics of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Theories of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Abnormal Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment of Psychological Disorders Lesson Plans
- Legal & Ethical Issues in Psychology Lesson Plans