About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other introductory psychology work.
- Identify the biological bases of behavior concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our introduction to psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn the biological bases of behavior and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding neurons, the nervous system, neuroplasticity or any other topic related to the biological bases of behavior
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their biological bases of behavior unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in introductory psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning the biological bases of behavior simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn the biological bases of behavior on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Take a look at an overview of biological psychology.
- Describe the function of neurons.
- Discuss the role of neurotransmitters in the brain.
- Understand the functions of the nervous system.
- Name the different parts of the brain.
- Define neuroplasticity.
- Describe the role of the endocrine system.
1. Intro to Biological Psychology
What are the biological factors that affect our behavior? In this lesson, you'll take a look at biological psychology, which looks at the interplay between biological processes and mental states.
2. What is a Neuron? - Definition, Parts & Function
What are the parts of a neuron? You'll watch Neuron Garciaparra work up a sweat as he throws baseballs to demonstrate the structures and functions of the billions of neurons that reside in your body.
3. What is a Neurotransmitter? - Definition, Types, Function & Examples
How do our bodies communicate with our brains and vice versa? In this video, you'll see how neurons and neurotransmitters can be likened to billions of tiny baseball players engaged in a non-stop game of catch.
4. Nervous System Overview: Central & Peripheral
What happens in your nervous system when you react to stimuli? Did you know that the brain is sometimes uninvolved with reflexes? Find out the answer to these questions, and more, in this lesson on the human nervous system.
5. Parts of the Brain
Is there a way to easily remember the many parts of the brain? Don't be afraid of all these complex terms; this lesson outlines some easy and fun phrases to help you memorize the brain's anatomy. Let's take a look.
6. What is Neuroplasticity? - Definition & Examples
Is your brain preprogrammed and unchangeable or adaptive and malleable? As you watch this video, you'll explore how the brain, a more resilient and resourceful machine than any computer, responds to damage and new experiences.
7. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
8. Chronic Illness: Definition, Effects & Management
This lesson will provide a definition for chronic illnesses. Also, it will describe the effects of chronic illnesses and ways in which to properly manage these illnesses to live a better quality of life. A short quiz will follow.
9. Deoxyribose: Definition & Structure
This lesson covers the definition and structure of deoxyribose, a pentose sugar. Deoxyribose is crucial to the function of human DNA, which is found in all living organisms, like us!
10. Wernicke's Area: Function & Location
Wernicke's area is an important part of the brain that is involved with helping us to understand spoken language. This lesson will cover where Wernicke's area is located in the brain, how it works, and a little bit about how it was discovered.
11. Psychobiology: Definition & History
This lesson covers the definition and history of psychobiology, or the study of the way biological processes influence behavior. You will also learn some of the most important discoveries to influence psychobiology.
12. Response Latency: Definition & Examples
In this lesson you'll learn the definition of response latency and the implications that it has for social and cognitive psychology. You'll be given examples to better understand how response latency is used as a measurement tool in research.
13. Flashbulb Memory in Psychology: Definition & Examples
Flashbulb memories are burned into your brain when you learn of traumatic happenings, but are they really as accurate as they seem? In this lesson, you will learn what shapes a flashbulb memory and explore some examples from the real world.
14. Hippocrates: Biography, Facts & Quotes
This lesson provides a biographical sketch of Hippocrates, a physician born in Ancient Greece. It covers major facts about his life and work, with a focus on his contribution to the study of medicine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- History and Approaches: Tutoring Solution
- Sensation and Perception: Tutoring Solution
- States of Consciousness: Tutoring Solution
- Learning: Tutoring Solution
- Cognition: Tutoring Solution
- Motivation and Emotion: Tutoring Solution
- Developmental Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Personality: Tutoring Solution
- Theories of Social Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Psychological Disorders and Health: Tutoring Solution
- Psychological Treatments: Tutoring Solution
- Statistics, Tests and Measurement: Tutoring Solution