About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your biological development homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample questions and get instant feedback.
- Finish your biological development homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Prenatal stages and development
- Growth and development principles
- Brain development in prenatal stages
- Prenatal environment and potential hazards
- Neonatal environment and the newborn
- Adolescent sexual development and maturation
- Adults' physical, psychological and emotional changes
1. Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
In the 9 months before a baby is born, there is an enormous amount of prenatal development. In this lesson, you will explore the following stages of prenatal development: the germinal period, the embryonic period, and the fetal period.
2. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
3. Prenatal Stages of Brain Development
The prenatal brain develops at an amazing speed. This lesson provides an overview of this brain development throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy and highlights key stages.
4. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
5. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
6. The Perinatal Environment and Potential Hazards During the Birth Process
What does perinatal mean? What happens during the birth process? What are some things that can go wrong? You will find the answers to these questions and more in this lesson!
7. The Neonatal Environment: Definition & Apgar Test
The neonatal period lasts from birth until four weeks old. Care during this period is essential to healthy development. In this lesson, explore the neonatal environment and learn how the Apgar test is used to assess newborn functioning.
8. The Newborn: Capabilities, Growth, and Developmental Milestones
Newborn growth and development is an amazing process! In this lesson, you will discover how babies learn, when they acquire certain abilities, and what reflexes they are born with.
9. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
10. Physical, Psychological and Emotional Changes in Adults
As an adult you establish a unique identity, reach the proverbial midlife crisis, and eventually succumb to old age. In this lesson, learn about the physical, psychological, and emotional changes that take place along this journey.
11. Primary Sex Characteristics: Definition & Explanation
This lesson defines and explains the primary sex characteristics of most living things on earth. In addition, special attention is given to human and, to a lesser extent, plant characteristics.
12. Sex Vs. Gender: Overview
Sex refers to our biology. Gender refers to social norms, values, and beliefs that establish gender roles. In this lesson, we will explore the differences between sex and gender and examine the amazing variety of gender roles across cultures and the broad span of human history.
13. Sexual Orientation: Definition & Facts
Studying sexual orientation can help you understand how a person's feelings and sense of identity are involved. It may or may not be evident in the person's appearance or behavior. Explore this subject and test yourself with a quiz.
14. Human Gestation: Definition, Stages & Length
Human gestation is the growth and development of a human baby in the uterus. This time period is about nine months long. Learn more about the stages of human gestation and take a short quiz at the end.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Homework Help Resource course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Development: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Human Growth & Development Research Methods
- Genetic Influences on Development: Homework Help
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Homework Help
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Homework Help
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Homework Help
- Language Development: Homework Help
- Social Development: Homework Help
- Social Relationship Development: Homework Help
- Atypical Development: Homework Help