About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other human growth and development work.
- Identify the biological development concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Human Growth and Development Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about biological development and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding prenatal stages of brain development, the perinatal environment, developmental milestones for newborns, the sexual development of adolescents or any other biological development topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their social science learning
- Prefer learning social science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their biological development unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their human growth and development course
- Don't have access to their social science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about biological development simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about biological development on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Examine the prenatal stages of development.
- Discuss the principles of growth and development.
- Become familiar with the stages of brain development.
- Describe the factors that threaten healthy prenatal development.
- Explain how a mother's emotional and physical state can affect the prenatal environment.
- List potential hazards that can affect the birthing process.
- Understand the purpose of the Apgar test.
- Describe the capabilities of newborns.
- Learn how adolescents mature sexually.
- Recognize the common physical, emotional and psychological changes that occur in adults.
1. Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
In the 9 months before a baby is born, there is an enormous amount of prenatal development. In this lesson, you will explore the following stages of prenatal development: the germinal period, the embryonic period, and the fetal period.
2. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
3. Prenatal Stages of Brain Development
The prenatal brain develops at an amazing speed. This lesson provides an overview of this brain development throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy and highlights key stages.
4. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
5. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
6. The Perinatal Environment and Potential Hazards During the Birth Process
What does perinatal mean? What happens during the birth process? What are some things that can go wrong? You will find the answers to these questions and more in this lesson!
7. The Neonatal Environment: Definition & Apgar Test
The neonatal period lasts from birth until four weeks old. Care during this period is essential to healthy development. In this lesson, explore the neonatal environment and learn how the Apgar test is used to assess newborn functioning.
8. The Newborn: Capabilities, Growth, and Developmental Milestones
Newborn growth and development is an amazing process! In this lesson, you will discover how babies learn, when they acquire certain abilities, and what reflexes they are born with.
9. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
10. Physical, Psychological and Emotional Changes in Adults
As an adult you establish a unique identity, reach the proverbial midlife crisis, and eventually succumb to old age. In this lesson, learn about the physical, psychological, and emotional changes that take place along this journey.
11. What is a Life Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of 'life cycle' and find out about the three basic stages of a life cycle. You'll also explore examples of different life cycles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution
- Human Growth & Development Research Methods: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Influences on Development: Tutoring Solution
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Tutoring Solution
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Tutoring Solution
- Language Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Relationship Development: Tutoring Solution
- Atypical Development: Tutoring Solution