About This Chapter
Biological Diversity in the Living World - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will improve your understanding of biological diversity in the living world. You'll review the classification of species, systematics, and interesting characteristics of animals. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss basic biology, including the seven characteristics that all living organisms share
- Explain the historical development of systematics
- Describe the contributions of Carolus Linnaeus in the 1700s
- Understand the classification and naming of living things
- Define binomial nomenclature
- Detail facts about species in Kingdom Animalia
- Provide examples of organisms in Kingdom Plantae
These video and text lessons help you quickly get up to speed on biological diversity in the living world. Vocabulary words are highlighted in bold print for quick reference. You can use the Help tab or your Dashboard to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic. For video lessons, the timelines let you easily navigate to specific topics.
1. Biology: The Study of Life
This lesson is going to discuss the basics of biology. We will discuss the study of biology, including the characteristics that are shared by all living organisms.
2. The Defining Characteristics of Living Organisms
A house is not a living thing, but the people, animals, and plants living inside it are. So how do we define 'life'? Learn about seven characteristics that all living organisms have in common, no matter how different they may look on the outside.
3. Systematics: Definition & History
In this lesson we will explore the biological term 'systematics'; what it means, what purpose it serves in understanding the world around us, and the historical development of this key scientific tool.
4. Carolus Linnaeus: Classification, Taxonomy & Contributions to Biology
There are millions of species on Earth. How can we name and organize all of them without getting confused? We use a system developed in the 1700s by Carolus Linnaeus. Learn more about him and his contributions in this lesson.
5. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
6. Binomial Nomenclature: Definition, Classification & System
Life on Earth is incredibly diverse, with over one million species. But have you ever wondered how all these organisms are named? In this lesson, you'll learn about the scientific naming system called binomial nomenclature.
7. Animalia Kingdom: Definition, Characteristics & Facts
With over one million different species, the Animalia Kingdom is considered the largest kingdom. Its organisms also inhabit the most diverse habitats on Earth. This lesson will examine what characteristics animals possess and then will list some awesome animal facts.
8. Kingdom Plantae: Facts, Characteristics & Examples
Chances are, you can thank a plant for your clothes, your food, and even your house. This lesson will explore the kingdom plantae including characteristics plants share as well as some facts and examples of organisms within this kingdom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- The Cell: The Basic Unit of Life
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Biomolecules & Enzymes
- Genetics & DNA
- Digestive & Excretory Systems in Humans
- Respiratory System Overview
- Body Fluids & Circulation
- Movement, Control & Coordination of the Body
- Human Reproduction & Development
- Overview of Plant Structure & Function
- Photosynthesis & Respiration
- Plant Reproduction Overview
- Plant Growth & Movement
- Evolution Basics
- Ecology Overview
- Biodiversity & Environmental Issues
- Relationship Between Biology & Human Welfare
- Biotechnology & Its Applications
- BITSAT Exam - Biology Flashcards