About This Chapter
Biology of Living Things - Chapter Summary
If you would like to brush up on your understanding of the biology of living organisms and ecosystems, this chapter contains interactive, online video lessons that will go over the major points you will need to know. Each lesson is taught by an experienced instructor who will go over each and every point in a clear and comprehensive format.
Watch these lessons to learn about the main characteristics of living organisms, as well as their life cycles and other defining qualities. You will then learn about the basic characteristics of ecosystems and the significance of biodiversity in nature. Specific topics you will learn about include:
- The definition and characteristics of living organisms
- Stages and examples of life cycles
- Ecosystems and the environment
- Ecosystem food chains, trophic levels and energy flow
- The importance of biodiversity
Included in each video are helpful video tags that you can use to locate and jump to the moments in each video covering the lesson's main points. The chapter also offers transcripts of each video, should you wish to study these lessons away from your computer. You can also take the chapter's lesson quizzes and final exam to make sure that you have accurately understood the main points on this subject.
1. The Defining Characteristics of Living Organisms
A house is not a living thing, but the people, animals, and plants living inside it are. So how do we define 'life'? Learn about seven characteristics that all living organisms have in common, no matter how different they may look on the outside.
2. What is a Life Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of 'life cycle' and find out about the three basic stages of a life cycle. You'll also explore examples of different life cycles.
3. Carrying Capacity, Migration & Dispersion
Have you ever wondered why some types of birds fly south in the winter or why some animals form territories? Watch this video to learn about a species' maximum growth capabilities, the way its members group themselves and why they might migrate to new locations every year.
4. The Environment, Levels of Ecology and Ecosystems
Do you know the difference between an environment and an ecosystem? In this lesson, you'll find out what makes an environment, and what makes an ecosystem. You'll also learn what ecology is and some of the ways that scientists study ecology using organisms, populations, communities, ecosystems and even the entire biosphere.
5. Food Chains, Trophic Levels and Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
In this lesson, you'll learn about food chains, food webs, and the different roles that organisms play in an ecosystem. You'll also learn about how energy flows through an ecosystem.
6. What is Biodiversity? - Definition and Relation to Ecosystem Stability
Imagine making a list of all of the species you have ever heard of; it would be an enormous list! There are many different species on this planet. This lesson will explore the diversity of species, as well as the different types of diversity and how diversity of life is essential for maintaining healthy ecosystems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PAX RN: Practice & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Reading Comprehension
- Learning & Using Vocabulary
- Basic Arithmetic Operations
- Essential Math Review
- Exponents, Polynomials & Quadratics
- Properties of Geometric Shapes & Angles
- Cell Biology Overview
- Anatomy & Physiology Overview
- Characteristics and Life Functions of Organisms
- Scientific Method & Reasoning
- Understanding Chemistry Basics
- Chemical Changes & Reactions
- Physics Concepts
- Speed, Acceleration & Momentum
- PAX RN Flashcards