About This Chapter
Biology: Types of Diseases - Chapter Summary
Take a look at how diseases such as malaria, entamoeba histolytica and amoebic dysentery are spread, their symptoms, and the measures taken to treat them by working through the lessons in this chapter. Review how doctors diagnose these diseases, the agents that cause them and how these agents gain access to the body. You will read about the following:
- Definition and explanation of toxoplasmosis
- Causes, prevention, transmission and symptoms of malaria and giardia
- Types, treatment and symptoms of dysentery
- Explanation and causes of sleeping sickness
- Treatment, symptoms and causal factors for trichomoniasis and cryptosporidiosis
Each of these quick little video lessons is accompanied by a brief quiz that enables you to see how well you understand what you've read. Links embedded in the quizzes connect back to the videos, enabling you to refer back and forth quickly to check an answer, or refresh your memory concerning the material. A written transcript version is available if you prefer reading to viewing, and key vocabulary is highlighted in bold text, making referral fast and easy.
1. Toxoplasmosis: Definition, Causes & Symptoms
Would you believe that 30-60% of people on the planet have been infected by a parasite and most never even know it? In this lesson, we will examine the disease toxoplasmosis and its causative agent, Toxoplasma gondii.
2. What is Giardia? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
The anaerobic parasite Giardia lamblia is one of the most common intestinal protozoans in the United States. In this lesson, we examine the major characteristics of Giardia and discuss treatment and prevention options.
3. What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
Malaria is a devastating disease that impacts millions of people worldwide every year. In this lesson, we will explore the organism that causes malaria and the disease itself.
4. Malaria: Prevention and Treatment
In this lesson examining malaria, we will look at the impact of the disease in the U.S. and the major methods of preventing the disease. We will also discuss how to correctly treat patients stricken by malaria.
5. Entamoeba Histolytica & Amoebic Dysentery: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Every science class starting in middle school, examines the Amoeba. In this lesson, we will dig into the world of one potentially deadly amoeba, Entamoeba histolytica, and the diseases it can cause. You probably didn't learn about this in Intro Bio!
6. What is Sleeping Sickness? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
African sleeping sickness is a devastating disease in equatorial Africa, which is spread through the bite of the tsetse fly. In this lesson, we will look at the causative agent, Trypanosoma, and the major characteristics of the disease.
7. Cryptosporidiosis: Causes & Symptoms
Cryptosporidium is a protozoan parasite that can cause serious gastrointestinal distress. In this lesson, we will investigate the general characteristics of Crypto and what symptoms to expect if you are ever infected.
8. Trichomoniasis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Protozoa don't often cause sexually transmitted diseases. One exception is Trichomonas vaginalis. In this lesson we will investigate the major characteristics of this unique parasite.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PCAT: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Verbal Ability: Analogies
- Verbal Ability: Sentence Completion
- Biology: Cell Structure & Division
- Biology: Cellular Processes
- Biology: DNA & Enzymes
- Biology: Genetics
- Animal & Human Behavior
- Biology: Evolution & Natural Selection
- Speciation, Extinction & Taxonomy
- Biology: Intro to Nutrition
- Biology: Nutrition - Carbohydrates
- Biology: Nutrition - Lipids
- Protein in Nutrition
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Microrganisms & Microbial Ecology
- Medical Microbiology
- Microbiology: The Immune System
- Structures of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Human Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- The Human Nervous System
- Human Circulatory System Basics
- The Circulatory System, Blood & Blood Vessels
- Respiratory System
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Functions of the Human Digestive System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Integumentary System Overview
- The Five Senses of the Human Body
- The Atom and Atomic Theory
- Chemical Bonding in Physical Chemistry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Gas Laws
- Kinetics & Thermodynamics
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Nuclear Processes
- Organic & Inorganic Chemistry
- Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- Fractions & Percents
- Solving Algebraic Equations
- Linear Equations Overview
- Inequalities Overview
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Interpreting Tables & Plots
- Basic Statistics & Probability
- Linear Regression & Correlation
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Complex Numbers & Vectors
- Limits of Functions
- Overview of Continuity
- Rate of Change & Calculating Derivatives
- Integrals & Antiderivatives
- PCAT Flashcards