About This Chapter
Black History Month Lesson Plans & Resources - Chapter Summary
If you are preparing curriculum that includes lessons for Black History Month, explore this chapter to enjoy fantastic lesson planning assistance. We offer resources that help you to lead thought-provoking discussions, provide students with homework assignments, implement fun activities in the classroom and more. Black History Month teacher resources available in this chapter include the following:
- Art project and activity ideas
- Elementary school project ideas
- Lesson plan and craft ideas
- Essay topics
All of our Black History Month teacher resources are available in one convenient location, significantly reducing the amount of research you need to conduct when planning your curriculum. Around-the-clock mobile access to these resources allows you to plan lessons anytime and in any location with an Internet connection.
How It Helps
- Assignments: Offers access to a variety of essay topic ideas you can use as classroom or homework assignments for students.
- Activities and crafts: Provides ideas for activities and crafts focused on black history and Black History Month art.
- Project ideas: Offers project ideas you can provide to help your elementary students develop a quality understanding of black history.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Black History Month lessons easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific black history topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your Black History Month class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related black history lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important Black History Month concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant black history-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Black History Month Lesson Plan
Teaching students about black history? Use this lesson plan to explore the experiences of African Americans' journey and history. Finish up with a fun research project.
2. Black History Projects for Elementary Students
Learning about black history is important for all students regardless of their racial identity. This lesson gives you some ideas for black history projects you can do with elementary students.
3. Black History Month Art: Ideas Projects & Activities
As you begin your Black History Month lessons, it will be important to incorporate art. This lesson includes art activities for your classroom that will have students making sculptures, painting, and working with collages.
4. Black History Craft Ideas
Black history can come alive for more students if you incorporate crafts that illustrate important themes and concepts. The crafts in this lesson will help you engage students in critical and meaningful work, making black history memorable and engaging.
5. Black History Month Essay Topics
Black History Month offers an important chance to help students engage in learning and reflection. This lesson offers some essay topics designed to get students thinking about black history.
6. Black History in America Essay Topics
Studying black history is an important way for many students to build their identity and understand the nature of race and race relations in the United States. The essay topics in this lesson will help your students think deeply about black history.
7. Black Power Movement Essay Questions
The Black Power Movement played a defining role in racial justice and race relations in the United States. This lesson offers a series of engaging questions designed to provoke your students' critical thinking about the movement.
8. Madam C.J. Walker Project Ideas
Madam C.J. Walker was one of the wealthiest women in America when she died, and gained her wealth by appreciating African Americans as consumers. Her life and legacy are fascinating to study, and these projects can help you bring her into your classroom.
9. Black History Month Activities for High School
Black History Month is used to elevate the recognition of African Americans' experiences and contributions in US history. These activities will give your students ways to engage with Black History Month.
10. Harriet Tubman Activities
Harriet Tubman is a great figure for getting students more engaged in history. Use these activities to help them explore the lives of historical figures beyond their textbooks.
11. Henrietta Lacks Activities
Build your high school students' knowledge by using these individual, partner, and team activities to teach them about Henrietta Lacks. Activities include a historical study, an exploration of her family, and an understanding of ethical considerations.
12. Black History Discussion Questions
Whether doing a unit on black history during February (Black History Month) or another point during the year, these questions will help middle and high school students engage in the content and think critically about the history of a racial group.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Social Sciences Lesson Plans & Resources course
- Criminal Justice Lesson Plans
- Anthropology Essay Topics & Lesson Plans
- Gender & Sexism Lesson Plans
- Multiculturalism Lesson Plans
- Famous Psychologists Lesson Plans
- Psychology Lesson Plans
- Mental Health Disorders Lesson Plans
- Sociology Lesson Plans
- Sociology Essay Topics
- Psychology Essay Topics
- Philosophy Lesson Plans