About This Chapter
Blood Clot Sites - Chapter Summary
Ideally, blood is supposed to flow throughout your entire body, but occasionally clots may form, which can prove dangerous. In this chapter, we discuss why blood clots form in different sites throughout the body. The lessons examine blood clots and related treatments for each specific site. You can study this information at home or on the go, since all of our materials are online and can be viewed from any mobile device. Evaluate how much you've learned by answering lesson quizzes. If you come across a lesson topic that doesn't make sense, you can always send your questions to our friendly instructors. In these lessons, you can discover details about the following:
- Symptoms that indicate blood clots in the brain, heart, eye, or lungs
- Signs that point to blood clots in the hand, arm, leg, or foot
- Typical causes of blood clots throughout the body
- Site-specific treatment options for blood clots
1. Blood Clot in the Brain: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
We are going to gain a better understanding of blood clots in the brain by learning the signs and symptoms that are associated with a blood clot in the brain and the ways in which this condition can be treated.
2. Causes of Blood Clots in the Brain
This lesson is going to cover the two types of blood clots that may be in the brain. We will also look at the main causes of blood clots in the brain and how they lead to blood clot formation.
3. Blood Clot in the Heart: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
If blood clots are important for healthy living, how can they be so dangerous as well? This lesson will briefly cover the basics of a blood clot, focusing on the symptoms, signs, and treatments of blood clots occurring in the heart.
4. Causes of Blood Clots in the Heart
There are a handful of possible causes of blood clots forming or flowing into the heart. We will discuss these and how they occur to gain a better understanding of blood clots in the heart.
5. Blood Clot in the Lungs: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
While blood clots are usually useful, sometimes they can form in the wrong places and wreak havoc on a person's body. This lesson will examine blood clots in the lungs and will discuss symptoms and treatment options for this dangerous type of blood clot.
6. Causes of Blood Clots in the Lungs
Everything from shortness of breath to death can occur as a result of blood clots in the lungs. Given that, wouldn't you want to know what may cause them? This lesson tells you!
7. Blood Clot in the Eye: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
Have you ever heard of a blood clot in the eye? In this lesson, we'll learn about blood clots in the eye and how they can happen. We will also review the symptoms of and treatments for this condition.
8. Causes of Blood Clots in the Eye
In this lesson we will explore what a blood clot in the eye consists of as well as examining some of the most common causes. We will also briefly look at when to seek treatment upon the discovery of a blood clot in the eye.
9. Blood Clot in the Arm: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
We will be discussing some of the signs and symptoms that are associated with blood clots in the arms. Treatment options for blood clots in the arm will also be described.
10. Causes of Blood Clots in the Arm
This lesson is going to cover some of the most common causes of blood clots that appear normally and abnormally in the arm. We will discuss how each cause leads to blood clot formation.
11. Blood Clot in the Hand: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
The hands are filled with tiny blood vessels that could be at risk of intercepting a blood clot. In this lesson, we'll learn about the signs and symptoms of blood clots in the hand, as well as ways to treat blood clots should they occur.
12. Causes of Blood Clots in the Hand
In this lesson, we will learn what a blood clot is and what causes blood clots to form in the hand. We will also look at treatment options that may be indicated.
13. Blood Clot in the Leg: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
It is important for everyone to know the signs and symptoms of a blood clot. Left undetected and untreated, a blood clot can be fatal. This lesson will address the signs and symptoms of a blood clot in the leg, along with a variety of treatments.
14. Causes of Blood Clots in the Leg
Do you know someone who has had a blood clot in their leg? Did you know there's more than one reason for blood clots to form in the legs? This lesson will discuss the three general reasons for them and provide specific examples of each.
15. Blood Clot in the Foot: Symptoms, Signs & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll examine the most common symptoms, signs and treatment of blood clots within the foot. We'll also explore how serious this condition could be if not promptly recognized and treated.
16. Causes of Blood Clots in the Foot
This lesson is going to cover the two types of blood clots. We will take an in-depth look at what causes blood clots to form in the foot and how it happens.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests