About This Chapter
Blood Clot Types & Complications - Chapter Summary
Blood clots are a health issue that is potentially deadly but often ignored. The relationship between blood clots and many different types of medical emergencies is significant. Included in this chapter are informative lessons that will cover blood clot-related topics.
Each lesson concludes with a practice quiz that will help you make sure that you have accurately understood the main points from the lesson. The final chapter exam will test you on the most significant pieces of information on the subject as a whole. The chapter's online format means that you review these lessons on your computer, tablet or smartphone, anytime and anywhere you have an internet connection. When you complete the chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand the definition and prevention methods of blood clots
- Distinguish between different types of blood clots
- Understand superficial blood clots
- Recognize the complications of blood clots
- Understand blood clot complications following surgery
- Recognize how to prevent blood clots after surgery
- Understand blood clots during pregnancy
- Define amaurosis fugax
- Articulate the symptoms, prognosis and treatment of amaurosis fugax
1. What is a Superficial Blood Clot?
Have you heard of a superficial blood clot before? It's actually the common term for one of two similar conditions. This lesson defines and explains them, as well as their potential causes.
2. How to Prevent Blood Clots After Surgery
In this lesson, you'll learn about blood clots as a possible complication of surgery and actions that can reduce the risk of health problems due to blood blots after surgery.
3. Blood Clot: Definition & Prevention
This lesson will cover the basics of a blood clot. We will also cover what causes a blood clot and what are the best ways to prevent blood clots from forming.
4. Types of Blood Clots
Blood clots are an important process to stop bleeding, but they can also be life threatening if they occur at the wrong time or place. In this lesson, we will learn about different types of blood clots and what complications can occur.
5. Blood Clot Complications
This lesson is going to describe the two types of blood clots. We will then discuss the complications that can arise from blood clots being present in the body and how the complications occur.
6. Symptoms of Blood Clots After Surgery
Part of recovering after surgery includes reporting any signs or symptoms that may indicate a complication. In this lesson, learn what symptoms may indicate a blood clot is present following surgery.
7. Blood Clots During Pregnancy
Blood clots form naturally all the time, usually to stop bleeding from a wound. However, blood clots can also develop due to certain health conditions. Let's learn a bit about the risk of blood clots during pregnancy.
8. Amaurosis Fugax: Definition & Prognosis
Amaurosis fugax may not be easy to pronounce, but it's easy to understand. It's a sudden, temporary vision loss in one eye caused by a lack of blood flow to the retina. Let's learn more about this oddly named condition.
9. Amaurosis Fugax: Symptoms & Treatment
Amaurosis fugax is sudden, temporary vision loss due to a lack of blood reaching the eye. In this lesson we'll take a closer look at the symptoms and treatment options for this condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests