About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other microbiology work.
- Identify the bloodborne bacterial diseases concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our college microbiology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about bloodborne bacterial diseases and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding these infections' causes, diagnoses and treatments or any other bloodborne bacterial diseases topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their biology learning
- Prefer learning biology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their bloodborne bacterial diseases unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in microbiology
- Don't have access to their biology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about bloodborne bacterial diseases simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live microbiology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about bloodborne bacterial diseases on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the history of Lyme disease and talk about methods for prevention.
- Describe the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.
- Name the bacteria that cause tularemia.
- Learn the causes and symptoms of spotted fevers.
- List the causes of typhus fevers and Rickettsia.
- Discuss the bacteria that cause Q fever.
- Learn the history of the bubonic and pneumonic plagues.
- Describe the symptoms and treatment of plague.
- Take a look at the causes and symptoms of toxic shock syndrome.
- Discuss the causes, symptoms and treatment of human ehrlichiosis.
- Learn the causes, symptoms and treatment of human anaplasmosis.
1. Lyme Disease: Infections of Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia afzelii
In this lesson, you will learn about a disease with great notoriety in the eastern United States, Lyme disease. Learn about what causes this disease, the epidemiology, and prevention.
2. Lyme Disease: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
Lyme disease has been gaining in prevalence in the United States in recent years. In this lesson, we will explore the disease itself as well as its diagnosis and treatment.
3. Tularemia: Infections Caused by Francisella tularensis
Unless you breed rabbits or are a World War II history buff, you have probably never heard of the bacteria Francisella tularensis. In this lesson, we will discuss this species, and the illness it can cause in humans called tularemia.
4. Spotted Fevers: Symptoms of Rickettsia Infections
You can catch a lot of diseases through tick bites. In this lesson, we will look at one class of tick-borne disease, spotted fevers, caused by bacteria in the genus Rickettsia.
5. Typhus Fevers and Rickettsia
Typhus fever is arguably the most historically important disease you've never heard of. In this lesson, I will attempt to shed some light on this deadly disease and provide some basics on the bacterium that causes it: Rickettsia.
6. Q Fever: Infection Caused by Coxiella burnetii
Have you ever heard of Q fever? If you're interested in witnessing the miracle of birth, you might want to educate yourself on the bacteria, Coxiella burnetii, the causative agent of Q fever.
7. Bubonic & Pneumonic Plague: Disease Caused by Yersinia pestis
Most students learn about plague in history class due its huge impact on human history. In this, the first of two lessons on plague, we will look at the disease from a microbiological perspective, focusing on the causative agent: Yersinia pestis.
8. Plague: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
In this lesson, we will examine plague, more widely known as Black Death, including the three major types of plague, the most common symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment.
9. Toxic Shock Syndrome: Symptoms & Causes
I'm sure most women have heard of toxic shock syndrome. But do you know what actually causes it? In this lesson we will explore the bacterial cause and common symptoms of this potentially serious illness.
10. Human Ehrlichiosis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention
It wouldn't be a surprise if you've never heard of ehrlichiosis. In this lesson, we will investigate this emerging disease caught from infected ticks, the bacteria responsible for symptoms, and what you can do to avoid becoming the next victim.
11. Human Anaplasmosis: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention
Most people have heard of Lyme disease, which is caught through tick bites. But there are many, much more obscure diseases you can get from ticks. In this lesson, we will examine the specifics of one of these diseases: anaplasmosis.
12. Typhus: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Diseases have plagued civilizations all throughout history. Typhus is a name given to three different diseases with similar characteristics. In this lesson, we will explore typhus, its symptoms, and treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology: Tutoring Solution course
- Biology Review for Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- Microorganisms and the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- The Disease Process: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Viruses in Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- RNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- Protozoan Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Fungal Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Tutoring Solution
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Tutoring Solution
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Sterilization and Antiseptic Techniques: Tutoring Solution