About This Chapter
Bonaparte & the French Revolution - Chapter Summary
This series of engaging video lessons outlines the events of the French Revolution and the rule of Napoleon Bonaparte. The chapter includes high-level explanations of the conditions that led to the revolution, as well as the rise and fall of Napoleon's power in France. You'll also examine other important historical organizations and events, including the National Assembly of France, the Reign of Terror and the Congress of Vienna.
Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Identify the economic and social conditions that caused the French Revolution
- Understand how the National Assembly of France impacted other European countries
- Summarize the French Revolution's Reign of Terror
- Know how Napoleon Bonaparte rose to power and what his early reforms were
- Describe Napoleon's economic and military expansion across Europe
- Recognize the events that led to Napoleon's downfall and know how the Congress of Vienna attempted to restore power balance in Europe
Each lesson contains concise definitions and easy-to-follow explanations of significant historical topics. This way, you can study the information quickly and efficiently. We've also included interactive self-assessment quizzes following each lesson so you can be sure you remember what you study. Print the lesson transcripts to review offline and feel free to ask our instructors any questions if they arise. The lessons can be accessed whenever it's convenient using any desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
1. The Causes of the French Revolution: Economic & Social Conditions
In this lesson, we explore the social, economic, and political conditions in late 18th-century France, out of which the French Revolution exploded in 1789.
2. The National Assembly of France: Creation, History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the initial phase of the French Revolution and the creation of the National Assembly of France. We'll also discuss the reforms it initiated and the events in France prior to the Assembly's fall in 1792.
3. The Reign of Terror in the French Revolution: Definition, Summary & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the phase of the French Revolution popularly known as the Reign of Terror, a year-long period where thousands of French men and women lost their lives.
4. Napoleon Bonaparte: Rise to Power and Early Reforms
In this lesson, we explore the rise to power of one of France's greatest rulers, Napoleon Bonaparte, and his subsequent achievements during the first few years of his rule up until he was crowned Emperor in 1804.
5. The Napoleonic Empire: Military & Economic Expansion
In this lesson, we explore the French Empire under the Emperor Napoleon I, from Napoleon's coronation as emperor in 1804 until the fateful invasion of Russia in 1812.
6. The Fall of Napoleon & the Congress of Vienna: Definition & Results
In this lesson, we explore the fall of Napoleon's French Empire after his fateful decision to invade Russia in 1812. In turn, we also discuss the Congress of Vienna that convened after Napoleon's defeat and attempted to plan post-Napoleonic Europe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Social Science Subtest 1: Practice and Study Guide course
- About the CSET Social Science Test
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- History of the Ancient Near East
- Ancient Asian Political and Philosophical Thought
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of the Dark Ages
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- Pre-Columbian America
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-1945