About This Chapter
Brain Structure & Function - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help you better understand the brain with lessons you can access online. Study from home or anywhere with an Internet connection to boost your knowledge of the parts of the brain and their responsibilities. When finished, you will be prepared to do the following:
- Discuss the structures and function of the hindbrain
- Share the meaning, function and structures of the midbrain
- Describe the reticular formation and its functions
- Explain the function of the forebrain
- List and describe the four lobes of the human brain
Every lesson in this chapter is available as a video that averages about 8 minutes and a full transcript you can use to take notes online. Review these lessons in any order to study brain structure and function concepts your way. If you don't have time to watch an entire video, utilize a clickable timeline that enables you to skip to key topics. Feel confident in your understanding of this chapter's lessons by taking self-assessment quizzes and a practice chapter exam.
1. The Hindbrain: Definition, Structures & Function
In this lesson, we'll learn about our 'reptilian' brain, known as the hindbrain. We'll explore what structures compose the hindbrain, as well as what vital processes of the human body it controls.
2. Midbrain: Definition, Function & Structures
In this lesson, we'll explore the midbrain, including where it's located, what structures compose it, and what its role is in the functions of your brain.
3. Reticular Formation: Definition & Functions
The reticular formation is a group of nuclei found throughout the brain stem. What do these nuclei do? How does their functioning affect your daily life? Complete this lesson to learn more about this important structure.
4. Forebrain: Definition & Function
In this lesson we will discuss the area of your brain known as the forebrain. We will explore what it is, where it is located in the brain, and what structures compose this amazing organ.
5. The Cerebral Cortex: Brain Structures and Functions Part II
Check out this video lesson to learn about the four lobes of the human brain - the frontal, parietal, occipital and temporal. You'll learn about the functions and processes of each region.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards